Shou Sugi Ban Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chaz

Burnt White Ash with dyed red interior
shousugibanbowl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chaz

Very nice but explain the name, please.
Shou Sugi Ban is a Japanese technique for preserving wood used in structure exterior lumber. The wood is charred and this will preserve the wood against the elements. It's also used artistically. I use yellow bottle propane to burn the wood. It's hotter. When you're done with the burning, you use a stiff brush t remove the loose char.

Last edited:

Chaz

That is a nice bowl,
Thanx
but that said, I'm not a fan of dying and burning the wood... prefer to used the grain of the bowl to show off the work.
Nice. The charring technique shows off the grain quite nicely. There are ways you can use this technique to accentuate the grain even more.
Kinda like adding carnuba wax to a project to make the wood's finish shine. Just another technique. You can use it, or not. Good for you. Good for me. :cool:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Shou Sugi Ban is a Japanese technique for preserving wood used in structure exterior lumber. The wood is charred and this will preserve the wood against the elements. It's also used artistically. I use yellow bottle propane to burn the wood. It's hotter. When you're done with the burning, you use a stiff brush t remove the loose char.
. . . Not just weather elements but insects such as termites and ants, etc

The black char does increase the heat absorption, which helps in the winter but not in the summer.

leehljp

Member Liaison
ShouSugiBan was a necessity for long lasting structures where pesticides were not yet known and insect proof woods were not available in amounts needed.

The prevelance in Japan can be seen in these three picts. Even most non-wood portions are painted to resemble the shousugiban colors.
1. Fujui in the old part of town (2007
2. Pagoda, not sure which one that was. I had many picts over the years.
3. An old Kiln still in operation in AichiKen/ Nagoya area near the island airport. The point of this pict is to see even the structural tree beams are treated in this manner.

Fukui, 2007.JPG
pagoda.JPG
kiln:Aichiken.JPG

Top Bottom