Shotgun themed pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muggsy1776

I've been asked to make a shotgun themed pen to honor a late relative who was on the Olympic skeet shooting team. My first thought is to use the PSI over-under shotgun pen. Has anyone used this kit for custom printed labels for casting and how did it look? A solid color for the cap looks like a real shell but if you replace it with artwork or photos does it detract from an actual look of a shotgun shell? My thoughts are a rollerball pen with photos and small sized shot cast into the cap and pieces of the ribbon from the metals into the body.

Kenny Durrant

I've made several of those. I put a Federal Duck stamp on the cap/shot shell and either feathers or deer antler in the pen body. IMHO if you made the cap out of wood the color of the gauge he shoots and cast labels on the pen it would look nice.

sorcerertd

I've found that bog oak and padauk look great as the "shell casing" with the larger pores for texture. These certainly aren't fancy cast blanks, but maybe it will give you a better idea of what to expect from the kit.
I have also found that you need to be very careful to clean the threads of the cap so the section doesn't get scratched. The cap does take a 9/16 bit. It's a pretty big pen.

8-page1.jpg

9-page.jpg

Woodchipper

Very nice and a tribute to someone who has participated in an Olympic event that doesn't get any press. Other events overshadow it.

Top Bottom