Shopsmith users

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi folks, I was wondering if any of the Shopsmith users here have done anything 'special' or different with their machines to make them more amenable to pen making.
I recently got a Jacobs chuck with a #2 taper to fit the tail stock. Combined with the Nova chuck I can now drill like I would with a metal lathe.
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeG

I made a drive center for turning between centers. It goes in a Shopsmith1/2" router chuck. I used a shoulder bolt so that I would have a better 1/2" diameter than I could make with hand tools.
Dead center 2.JPG
Dead center1.JPG

Chasboy1

Thanks, I took a broken 1/2 diameter drill and ground a taper onto it while it spun in my SS drill chuck. (this was before I got the Nova) It works ok, but doesn't inspire confidence sometimes when it slips.
Regarding the mandrel saver, I found on at PSI, but it states it has a .245" bore, and my mandrel is 7 mm which is larger than that. Am I missing something?

Mr Vic

Thanks, I took a broken 1/2 diameter drill and ground a taper onto it while it spun in my SS drill chuck. (this was before I got the Nova) It works ok, but doesn't inspire confidence sometimes when it slips.
Regarding the mandrel saver, I found on at PSI, but it states it has a .245" bore, and my mandrel is 7 mm which is larger than that. Am I missing something?
If a 7mm slim line tubed blank fits the the mandrel may state 7mm but the actual diameter is 1/4".

David350

I like to use my Shopsmith disc sander to knock off the corners and round the blanks to make them much easier to turn. I have found this to be a real time saver especially on "acrylic" blanks that are prone to chipping.

Top Bottom