Shopfox, Uokrr or excelsior mini lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobA

Hi folks,
I am looking at getting a small lathe to use just for pens. I have a larger one I have been using, but the alignment on the head stock / tail stock is off a little. I've tried to fix it, but it's just not working out. I can feel the wood not quite right on the pens. My wife and daughter don't notice, but I do and other turners would.
That's why I'd like to get a new lathe. I dont have the $$ to get a jet or other nicer lathe. I'd like to stay on the lower end of cost. Below are links to a few I have looked at a little. They all look about the same or at least close. Their makers are probably neighbors.

Does anyone here have any experience with any of these? heard anything about them? Will they turn pens OK? Headstock/tailstock align alright?
Any suggestions? Other lathe ideas? Is there a used tool "for sale" section here?
Thanks for any help offered,
Rob
Shop fox on amazon $220 1/3 hp MT1, 3/4 x16 threads
Uokrr on amazon $180 1/3 hp MT1, 1x8 threads
Excelsior from rockler $280 1/2 hp, MT2, 1x8 threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I would skip any of the MT1 lathes. That would require a whole new set of investment in centers and other inserts that work with MT1. If you get the MT2 option there, then any of your existing centers that you have used with the existing lathe will also work. First thing that comes to mind.

The MT2 lathe also has a more powerful motor, and a 1x8tpi spindle. The spindle would make it more compatible as well...the 3/4x16tpi spindle would also probably require some additional investment.

As for how good they are in practice, I have never used any of the three. The Excelsior though, looks almost identical to my old Nova 14DR. The nova I had was variable speed, and it was a little larger, so it was around $500 something. But otherwise, it was a sturdy little lathe, and handled decently sized blanks. All my original bowls up to 7 or 8" in diameter were turned on it. So if I had to choose from these, I'd choose the Excelsior...which also happens to be the only MT2 option out of the bunch. ;)

monophoto

My first lathe was a Shop Fox 1704. It was fine for pens and bottle stoppers, but seriously underpowered for anything else. Note that it is MT1 - if you already have an MT2 lathe, that means that you would have to restock accessories, and MT1 stuff is getting pretty hard to find.

I have no experience at all with the UOKRR lathe, and have never head of any other products with than name. That said, the name strikes me as a typical Amazon product name - something unpronounceable and made up specifically to label products made in China for sale by Amazon. Other than the headstock threading, the specification seems to be the same as the ShopFox. The pictures look amazingly similar. When I bought my ShopFox (in 2011), it was advertised as having 1"x8tpi threading, but when I got it and starting thinking about accessories, I measured the headstock spindle and found that it actually was 3/4"x16tpi. I reached out to ShopFox who acknowledged that their advertising, and the instruction book that came with the lathe, all contained that erroneous information. A year or so later I noticed that than their advertising had been corrected. But what I'm suggesting is that the UOKRR may actually be the same machine as the ShopFox but with incorrect specifications. For all of these reasons, I would avoid the UOKRR. ShopFox may be OK - dthey are a real US company although their products are all Chinese.

By the way, you may find that a new lathe would still present a headstock/tailstock alignment problem. I think that's primarily a function of the price category - if you want to avoid that, you would need to be prepared to pay much more.

d_bondi

I would skip any of the MT1 lathes. That would require a whole new set of investment in centers and other inserts that work with MT1. If you get the MT2 option there, then any of your existing centers that you have used with the existing lathe will also work. First thing that comes to mind.

The MT2 lathe also has a more powerful motor, and a 1x8tpi spindle. The spindle would make it more compatible as well...the 3/4x16tpi spindle would also probably require some additional investment.

As for how good they are in practice, I have never used any of the three. The Excelsior though, looks almost identical to my old Nova 14DR. The nova I had was variable speed, and it was a little larger, so it was around $500 something. But otherwise, it was a sturdy little lathe, and handled decently sized blanks. All my original bowls up to 7 or 8" in diameter were turned on it. So if I had to choose from these, I'd choose the Excelsior...which also happens to be the only MT2 option out of the bunch. ;)

I echo Jon's comments and won't repeat those points.

What I can add is that before I got my Jet 1221VS, I was using a Harbor Freight lathe that is a green version of the Rockler Excelsior lathe. I don't know who copied who, but seriously, same factory, different paint job. I turned pens on the HF lathe for a year and it worked fine. Mine had good alignment between the head and tail stock (maybe I was lucky). Rockler seems to have pretty good customer service, but I am fortunate to have a local store. If you decide to go with the Excelsior, ask them what they will do if the one you get isn't properly aligned.

I upgraded to the Jet because I grew weary of moving the belt all the time and because I wanted more precision as I moved toward closed end pen work and kitless.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hi folks,
. . . I can feel the wood not quite right on the pens. My wife and daughter don't notice, but I do and other turners would.
That's why I'd like to get a new lathe. I dont have the $$ to get a jet or other nicer lathe. I'd like to stay on the lower end of cost. Below are links to a few I have looked at a little.
Rob
Shop fox on amazon $220 1/3 hp MT1, 3/4 x16 threads
Uokrr on amazon $180 1/3 hp MT1, 1x8 threads
Excelsior from rockler $280 1/2 hp, MT2, 1x8 threads
1. As Louie and Jon mentioned above, do NOT get an MT1 lathe. The accessories are limited as compared to MT2.

2. "Not quite right" - you will be a very good pen maker. One who notices these things and are not satisfied with it - will become a great pen maker.
3. While this may not work since you can observe the alignment being off - but often enough - pen MANDRELS can cause a number of problems that introduce wobble and non-concentric fitting. A very good mandrel system helps. Another system is called the TBC or Turning Between Centers. Not everyone likes it but it does help eliminate some of the problems of a mandrel system early on in the process.
4. consider a good set of calipers for measuring the turnings. Measure the nose cone, center band, and clip end. Write them down, then turn to that size instead of the bushing size. You will get a great fit everytime.

TBC: Use a dead drive center on the head stock and a live center on the tail stock, place the blank with bushings on both ends between the two centers and puts the tail stock up snug. Turn. Take the bushings off for finishing sanding or turning.

Hubert H

1. As Louie and Jon mentioned above, do NOT get an MT1 lathe. The accessories are limited as compared to MT2.

2. "Not quite right" - you will be a very good pen maker. One who notices these things and are not satisfied with it - will become a great pen maker.
3. While this may not work since you can observe the alignment being off - but often enough - pen MANDRELS can cause a number of problems that introduce wobble and non-concentric fitting. A very good mandrel system helps. Another system is called the TBC or Turning Between Centers. Not everyone likes it but it does help eliminate some of the problems of a mandrel system early on in the process.
4. consider a good set of calipers for measuring the turnings. Measure the nose cone, center band, and clip end. Write them down, then turn to that size instead of the bushing size. You will get a great fit everytime.

TBC: Use a dead drive center on the head stock and a live center on the tail stock, place the blank with bushings on both ends between the two centers and puts the tail stock up snug. Turn. Take the bushings off for finishing sanding or turning.
GOOD POINTS!

derekdd

Frankly, I don't think you'll be happy with any of those. They are all woefully underpowered, and I would question their quality.

PSI has the Turncrafter 10" VS 3/4 hp with #2 MT for just under $500. I picked up a used one and like it just fine.

I plan on getting a larger one this coming year, but it has been a great little machine for pens and small projects.

RobA

Hi folks,
My apologies for not coming back sooner. I had a stomach issue that turned out to be absolutely nothing. Scared the heck out of me. I forgot completely about my question about smaller / cheaper lathes.

The lathe that I have now is an older craftsman. Like this lathe. The tail stock slides left and right on a pipe with a keyway on the bottom of the pipe. It is supposed to keep the tailstock from moving forward and backward (towards you and away from you if you are standing infront of the lathe). Mine moves about 1/8" or so. Not really sure how to fix that.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Cheaper price, I could end up with a cheaper product that has the same problem I have now.
I wasn't really thinking about that, but makes complete sense. I will probably wait until my play money adds up and I have enough to get a better smaller lathe. The turncrafter from psi looks interesting, the jet 1221 too. I waited this long, I can wait a little longer. I may look into turning between centers for a little while too.

Thanks again folks
Rob

bugradx2

I can chime in on this as an owner/user of the excelsior. All the below are my opinions, so please take them as such.

I got mine new and have enjoyed it. I'm relatively new to turning and have been at it a little over a year. Woodworking for many years prior. Without going into the background of the story because it's sad, I purchased mine from FB marketplace for a used price but it was still in the original packaging with the bands still on it. I was trying to get into turning for a low entry cost and this fit the bill. At the same time, I'd also been looking at some of the WEN machines too. I could not find a used machine that I trusted or felt was worth the money that was being asked. I had looked for a long time and then found this one.

My thoughts on the Excelsior in no particular order...
If you already have MT2 accessories and are trying to be money concious then I would not bother with either of the other lathes you're listing. You can buy adapters but you'll just be taking them on and off to switch between machines. It will cause frustration between you, your wife and daughter. Speaking as someone with each of those in the house too and they both also like the various tools in the shop, why introduce some other cause of "comments" by the girls? (there is no sarcasm font for that sentence)

My excelsior came out of the box well aligned and has turned pens, ornaments, stoppers etc with aplomb. The owner of the lathe has pretty much been the main issue for any projects that have not worked properly. We've even adapted it to fix an issue my son was having with a 3D printed item for his engineering class.

What I don't like about the lathe is I think I would really like the ability to change speeds via a variable speed dial. I decidedly do not like the arm on the motor to set tension on the belt because it's 1/8" wide and hurts my hand. I may be putting too much tension on the belt (new at this) for my own good and have changed the force I apply to set tension. The other thing is the chrome plating on the headstock handwheel was flaking when I got the lathe. If I'd been the original owner I would have opted to take at least that part back to Rockler but being the secondary owner I took it all off and sanded it down.

What I've liked about the lathe is pretty much everything else. I knew I was getting an entry level machine and my expectations were such. It just plain runs, all the darn time. It has pleasantly surprised me at how easy it is to use. It's a very solid machine for what it is. It also came with a drive spur, live center and mounting plate for bowls. All the requisite screws and allen wrenches to adjust the headstock and parts too.

That said, the next lathe? If and when I decide to replace this one? Possibly a laguna because a close friend has one and it's really nice to use. Realistically if I was buying tomorrow? It would be the Jet 1221. I've never heard of anyone not liking them and even used they sell for nearly the list price. I'll load this excelsior up and give it to my nephew to pull him into turning. I'll keep my accessories for the next lathe though, the 1x8 threads and MT2 center will be on the next lathe already.

RobA

I can chime in on this as an owner/user of the excelsior. All the below are my opinions, so please take them as such.

I got mine new and have enjoyed it. I'm relatively new to turning and have been at it a little over a year. Woodworking for many years prior. Without going into the background of the story because it's sad, I purchased mine from FB marketplace for a used price but it was still in the original packaging with the bands still on it. I was trying to get into turning for a low entry cost and this fit the bill. At the same time, I'd also been looking at some of the WEN machines too. I could not find a used machine that I trusted or felt was worth the money that was being asked. I had looked for a long time and then found this one.

My thoughts on the Excelsior in no particular order...
If you already have MT2 accessories and are trying to be money concious then I would not bother with either of the other lathes you're listing. You can buy adapters but you'll just be taking them on and off to switch between machines. It will cause frustration between you, your wife and daughter. Speaking as someone with each of those in the house too and they both also like the various tools in the shop, why introduce some other cause of "comments" by the girls? (there is no sarcasm font for that sentence)

My excelsior came out of the box well aligned and has turned pens, ornaments, stoppers etc with aplomb. The owner of the lathe has pretty much been the main issue for any projects that have not worked properly. We've even adapted it to fix an issue my son was having with a 3D printed item for his engineering class.

What I don't like about the lathe is I think I would really like the ability to change speeds via a variable speed dial. I decidedly do not like the arm on the motor to set tension on the belt because it's 1/8" wide and hurts my hand. I may be putting too much tension on the belt (new at this) for my own good and have changed the force I apply to set tension. The other thing is the chrome plating on the headstock handwheel was flaking when I got the lathe. If I'd been the original owner I would have opted to take at least that part back to Rockler but being the secondary owner I took it all off and sanded it down.

What I've liked about the lathe is pretty much everything else. I knew I was getting an entry level machine and my expectations were such. It just plain runs, all the darn time. It has pleasantly surprised me at how easy it is to use. It's a very solid machine for what it is. It also came with a drive spur, live center and mounting plate for bowls. All the requisite screws and allen wrenches to adjust the headstock and parts too.

That said, the next lathe? If and when I decide to replace this one? Possibly a laguna because a close friend has one and it's really nice to use. Realistically if I was buying tomorrow? It would be the Jet 1221. I've never heard of anyone not liking them and even used they sell for nearly the list price. I'll load this excelsior up and give it to my nephew to pull him into turning. I'll keep my accessories for the next lathe though, the 1x8 threads and MT2 center will be on the next lathe already.
Thanks for your opinion on this lathe

Top Bottom