shopfox 1836 cant adjust speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsieracki

I purchased a second lather today a SHOPFOX 1836. its runs at around 2500 rpm. p/o replaced the dial but still cant adjust speed..says customer support told him it needs a circuit board.. has anyone had this issue? ... i cant find much via google so i though id ask here before i just bought one

thanks
Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Ron

Other than the color of the paint, the Shop Fox 1836 looks remarkably similar to a number of other lathes (Turncrafter, KingCanada, Axminster, et al) . It's likely that they all originated in same factory in China.

Bob of RJBWoodturner (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmmCqkA0iEdwVsaS7kVwGLw) recently purchased a used Turncrafter, and then found that he had a problem with the speed controller. He purchased a replacement controller from PSI, but then did some experimental troubleshooting on the old box and was eventually able to get it working again. You might want to review the videos where he discusses that process for clues to help in your situation.

Bob's experience essentially reinforces my suspicion - it is likely that there there are relatively simple fixes that can be made to your current controller box. But if you aren't familiar with that technology, and if you aren't comfortable in working on electronics, the easier solution may just be to purchase the replacement controller from the importer.

randyrls

These lathes with an electronic speed control often have the cheapest potentiometer (pot) available on the speed control. If it fails the speed goes to max or min and can't be changed. Check that first as it is a cheap fix. Unless you are familiar with electricity, UNPLUG the lathe!

Louie; I like Bob's videos. He works safely and to a purpose.

Bob mentions installing a reversing switch on the lathe. CAUTION! If you do this, DO NOT SWITCH FROM FORWARD TO REVERSE WHILE THE SPINDLE IS TURNING!!! Doing so will burn out the Mosfet drive transistors.

monophoto

Bob mentions installing a reversing switch on the lathe. CAUTION! If you do this, DO NOT SWITCH FROM FORWARD TO REVERSE WHILE THE SPINDLE IS TURNING!!! Doing so will burn out the Mosfet drive transistors.

Absolutely correct!

I added a reversing switch to my Turncrafter, but I mounted it on the back of the lathe where it is especially inconvenient to use - specifically to make sure that I was thinking clearly when I opted to use it.

rsieracki

Thanks for the suggestions. I puchased the lathe from a guy who buys returns by the truck load. He purchased a new dial switch for it but thst didnt help. He claimes they told him only other issecould be the board and its around $75.. consequently i got the lathe for 150 so i cant complain if i get it running as normal for around 200

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

monophoto

Ron

the importer of Shop Fox lathes is Woodstock International. Their web site implies that they can supply parts, but I couldn't find where to order them. I found a parts list that identified the circuit board for your lathe as part number DZ-236A1.

For what it's worth, the main distributors of Shop Fox lathes appear to be Wally World, K-Mart, and Amazon. My first lathe was a Shop Fox (model 1704).

But as I mentioned, this looks very much like my Turncrafter, or lathes sold by King-Canada and Axminster - all manufactured in China. Your lathe is rated 12x15", with a 3/4 hP motor. PSI sells a 10" swing version with a 3/4Hp motor, and a 12" version with a 1Hp motor.

Bob of RJBWoodturners has the 10" version, and I believe that he said that he was able to purchase a replacement speed control box for under $90. I don't know this for a fact, but I would guess that the PSI box could be used on your lathe. If you can't get any help from Woodstock International, you might try calling PSI - call technical support and ask for Joe Roberts (he's really knowledgeable).

randyrls

Ron; Does the lathe turn at all?? One other potential problem spot is the fuse holder. They are the cheapest of the cheap. Make sure the fuse block isn't cracked or broken. You might want to check for loose wires and connectors.

Top Bottom