Shop Safety: Extension Cord!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy Vey

Was over at Guy's (pipes) shop this morning to hang out a bit and maybe turn a pen or so. Guy was turning a pen and while he was doing so, a roughing gouge fell down on the floor and as it hit the concrete a spark appeared. Well, it wasn't a spark from the metal hitting the floor, but the gouge fell onto an extension cord that was laying on the floor!! This is were the spark came from - the cutting edge of the gouge (which was very sharp) was melted for about an 1/8 of an inch!! The gouge had severed some wires inside the cord, but the lamp that was attached to it never flickered or went out. Only when Guy picked up the cord to see the damage, it went off.

Lesson learned: do not have an extension cord laying around where it could be hit by a sharp tool!! And also always connect all your shop stuff to GFCI outlets - just to be safe!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Good advice Rudy

Here is a product that will solve that problem

http://tinyurl.com/p9zck

I can't understand how that could possibly work, but if it does, that would solve a lot of problems. Although I'm curios about the "No Suing" clause that they have added. Pacemakers, perhaps?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
First off, thanks Rudy! I can never be warned frequently enough about shop safety. Plus, electricity and I have a bad track record, haing been knocked across more than my share of rooms when I refinished a basement once. I do have one extension cord that is used occasionally in the shop. I think I'll opt for a new outlet. [:)]

As for wireless power, that looks amazing. Does anyone have experience with it. I'd love to be able to free my computer and monitor from being within cord distance of the outlet without stringing cords everywhere.

Now, if someone could only figure out a way to pick up all of the microwaves that we are constantly being bombarded with and convert them into free energy, I'd be set! [8D]

Daniel

Rudy,
your story sent chills down my spine. To give some reason for that. recently my father, who has taught me much of what I know about building, got a serious electrical shock. he is now almost completely paralized on his left side, lost his home and lifelong passion (his farm) and was launched into basically permature sanility. all due to one careless move involving electricity. the picture in my mind of your friend picking up that cut cord just made me hold my breath.
one suggestion, he may want to check into different breakers for that shop, it should have thrown, if it was a fuse, tell him to tone it down a bit, that light should have been out if it pumped enough juice to melt his tool. I'm as bad as the next guy for putting larger fuses in boxes though.
to everyone, accidents don't happen from things you did think about. be careful out there, I don't went your spouse to be writing your next post.

Pipes

It was scarry guys and MY shop is on 2 breakers and it didn't pop I got a electric guy that use to work with my dad coming over to ck my circurts Tuesday !! Iam awful about using extension cords :O/! ...I just looked again at the cord it was heavy and it cut it right in half ! I got the proper service to my shop BUT we all NEED more plugs :O) Iam moving a LOT of stuff to our lake house and putting a shop there kina my dads older NICE stuff is there ! Once I get my shop empty and can strech out a bit OI won't need the dang cords as much or at all !!! been to rainy and cold to empty it out and do it this spring here !! I got a 2 1/2 car garage that is half shop right now but soon to go to 90% shop no room can and does cause accidents !! it blew a 1/8 of inch gap out of a sorby fingernail scarry stuff folks !!![:(]

Texas Taco

I work for a large electrical energy company and spent many years as the safety lead at one of our plants. Most people would and do think our largest problem with electrical shock was related to the 142,000 volt (138kv)high lines or 4160 volt motor leads but in reality it was the 120v extension cords. Now it has finally sunk into the plant personnel that if you use an extension cord for <u><b>ANY</b></u> purpose, it will be used in conjunction with a GFCI.

As far as the wireless extension cord goes...........y'all can use it and let me know how it works cause I ain't going to get near it.

Draken

Ok guys, for any one looking at the wireless electrical cord, please try adding one to your cart, __THEN__ you'll understand what it is about. [:D]

Cheers,
Draken

M

Mudder

Another piece of Safety info that I've too often seen broken.

Never, Never, NEVER put your shop lites and tools on the same circuit.
You don't want to have the lights go out if your table saw pops the breaker.

I hear you laughing but I've seen it done.

Dario

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />Another piece of Safety info that I've too often seen broken.

<b>Never, Never, NEVER put your shop lites and tools on the same circuit.
You don't want to have the lights go out if your table saw pops the breaker.</b>

I hear you laughing but I've seen it done.

Thank you Mudder.

I hope more people read your tip/warning.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />...And also always connect all your shop stuff to GFCI outlets - just to be safe!!
Nothing against GFCIs, but they're not the whole answer. They work by comparing current delivered to the load with current returning. If there's a difference, current is flowing somewhere it shouldn't be, and the device trips. It's called "ground fault" because there's only one other place current can flow other than into the neutral, and that's to ground. GFCIs are only designed to protect people.

For even more protection, look into Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters. These are new -- the NEC has only required them in bedrooms since 2002 I think. They trip when they detect rapid current fluctuations unique to arcing. They are intended to protect against fires caused by arcing. You can get combination GFCI/AFCI breakers for some boxes.

Daniel

Jeff,
do the AFCI's work like the GFCI's where you only need one at the begining of the circuit? I still have to get all the parts the electrical in my shop. I have the lights on there own circuit nad will have the wall outlets on 3 or 4. so I have to have each of those protected. it wouldn't be a bad idea to protect the others including the lights and the dust collector with the AFCI as well.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Daniel - The AFCI's are breakers. They protect the entire circuit. Not cheap, though! A regular 20A breaker is under $5, but an AFCI is usually over $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom