Shop Safety - another perspective

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

There have been a couple of long discussions about respirators, air shields, face shields, etc. As a 30 year veteran of aviation, occupational, explosive, electrical, construction, and a dozen other safety systems, I'm always glad to see people interested in and inquiring about the best ways to protect yourself when you're doing something that could be hazardous to your health.

I've found, though, that our safety training systems tend to lean toward personal protective equipment (PPE) rather than abating the hazards. That distresses me because we seem to have replaced common sense with equipment.

CAVEAT: OSHA STANDARDS DO NOT APPLY TO YOUR PERSONAL SHOP! I'm going to talk about OSHA directives, though, because they are the ones who do the most research into safety and personal protection. They might have some good ideas, even if they can't require them in our shop.

OSHA requires every business to analyze the hazards in their work places and abate those hazards - engineer them out if possible. If they cannot be abated, THEN PPE comes into play to protect against a hazard that cannot be abated. In other words, the requirement for PPE shows your abatement plan has failed so you have to take other action. Industry has realized that blanket safety requirements are easier than training every employee in hazard recognition. If there is a company policy on wearing safety glasses every time you are on the shop floor, regardless of whether you're exposed to a hazard or not, then surely you'll be protected when you're near the hazard and the company will have done its job to protect you. That's their thinking anyway. The down side of this is that people have begun to automatically throw on PPE - whether is the right PPE or not and whether or not PPE is needed in that situation - instead of assessing the hazards present and taking proper action or removing the hazard.

Different types of PPE are meant to protect different parts of the body from different hazards. Safety glasses are designed to protect against light, dust, mist, light to moderate particle impact. Face shields are designed to protect the eyes and face against dusts, mists, liquids, flying chips, etc. Notice there's nothing in there about flying chunks or head protection. That's a whole different standard. Following a couple of very dramatic turning accidents, Trend started publishing on its website that it is not designed to protect heads from flying chunks.

Following those same dramatic accidents, I got the local police department to buy and sell me a ballistic helmet with lexan and steel grid face shields. I don't wear it when I turn pens, but when I'm turning a big piece of mesquite that may have a hidden crack in it, you bet I'm wearing it.

I rarely wear breathing protection when turning unless I'm turning something like antler because I have found a way to reduce the dust hazard. I have a large fan that blows over my right shoulder and onto the turning area. It takes the light weight dust I might breathe in and takes it out of the breathing area. I took a class in hazardous waste operations and emergency response. The instructor taught us "The solution to pollution is dilution". Remove the hazard and you don't need the PPE. If I am turning the fan is blowing.

I do wear prescription safety glasses all the time. When turning solid woods, especially spindle turning, I add a face shield to protect against splinters and chips the fan won't blow away. When there is a crack or loose bark involved, out comes the riot helmet.

I am not trying to talk you out of anything you feel is necessary to protect yourself in your shop. By all means, protect yourself first. I do want to show there are options that you may use to address some of the hazards we face instead of a 1 size fits all rule.

Safe spinning and Happy New Year.

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Safety first each and every time. My protective eyewear goes on immediately like a seatbelt as soon as entering the car. Nothing gets turned on until.
Protect face, eyes, and lungs. Eyes/lungs cannot be repaired or replaced. What bothers me is watching a demo video and the operator is wearing jewelry, no face protection, loose garments. I watched a female that sells scroll saw equipment doing the demo with her long hair down..There is no substitute for proper safety. None.

jttheclockman

Yes there always are and coming from someone else who worked in construction industry and have been around many nasty situations I do take safety with high regards. The one thing that is important is confined space and that is what we mostly deal with because of the size of our shops. The thing is wearing a mask or not and trying to address it before it gets to you is great if you can do it. Fumes is a tough one. Dust is a tougher one that you give credit because we create dust in so many ways when in a shop and unless a shop is sterilized everyday after use it is impossible to control all but we do the best we can. Every time we walk into a shop we stir up dust. We may not see it and think you are not breathing it, you are. Safety at tools is a operator thing. Need to understand and use properly to use safely. if it does not feel safe it probably is not. A shop is something that all senses must be working well. Work safe and enjoy the shop time.

WriteON

If I may add.... be careful what is behind you. It's easy to back up and fall over an item on the floor behind you.
I had a close one... The stool I sat on took off. The wheels were not locked. As I tried to stop/maintain my balance the stool and I went over. I fell backwards but broke the fall with my arms/elbows... hit my back but not my head.

jttheclockman

If I may add.... be careful what is behind you. It's easy to back up and fall over an item on the floor behind you.
I had a close one... The stool I sat on took off. The wheels were not locked. As I tried to stop/maintain my balance the stool and I went over. I fell backwards but broke the fall with my arms/elbows... hit my back but not my head.
Yea if I did that I am probably out of commission for awhile. Glad you are OK. My shop is too small and I walk around it like I am walking on eggs.

howsitwork

Interesting reflections and points raised. Many thanks.

Im with JT the shops getting too small because of all the "essential junk" I have jammed in there šŸ˜³

Only thing I can do is FINISH some projects to free up the space, So that's this years goal !

Woodchipper

Interesting posts. We don't know of all the little things that happen in the shop. In my experience, my shop is safer than driving on our local bypass which is reminiscent of the Indy 500.

derekdd

Excellent points. I have a buddy who is an industrial hygienist and we'd talk all the time about the kinds of things he'd have factories install to mitigate employee exposure to hazards.

When I worked in KC, my office was near a William's Chili Seasoning plant. Driving by with the window down, you'd get a nice smell of what they were making. I always wondered how they were able to filter out the air well enough for employees working there.

I have one of those big round HF shop fans I have blowing on me when turning, along with a couple of Wen air filtration units a couple of feet directly above. During the warmer months, it's aimed toward me and out the overhead door.

Top Bottom