Shop organization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muddydogs

Decided it was time to get a handle on my HF parts storage boxes. They were taking up way to much shelf space and of course I always needed the bottom one. I guess I don't have a before photo.

Built a storage rack under my work table and a couple shelf mounted units.

Attachments

• PXL_20231111_205133826.jpg
    PXL_20231111_205133826.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20231111_205159003.jpg
    PXL_20231111_205159003.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 115
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turtle032

Decided it was time to get a handle on my HF parts storage boxes. They were taking up way to much shelf space and of course I always needed the bottom one. I guess I don't have a before photo.

Built a storage rack under my work table and a couple shelf mounted units.

I like this. I need to do something similar. I have a few very heavy boxes and wondered about the cleats you have vs. an entire shelf. I like the cleats since you can put boxes wherever you like.

moke

Nicely done.....I love to have my shop organized....nothing upsets me more than having to look endlessly for something! I think you and I can agree the best tool we ever bought was a labelmaker....

Woodchipper

Nicely done.....I love to have my shop organized....nothing upsets me more than having to look endlessly for something! I think you and I can agree the best tool we ever bought was a labelmaker....
If I can't find anything, I tell my wife what I'm looking for. Finds it within five minutes. Or to find it: buy another and the lost one shows up he next day. Oh yes, have a label maker, too. Labels on the doors of an old school locker for the larger things.
Best investment was a HF 9 drawer cabinet; https://www.harborfreight.com/46-in...-cabinet-with-solid-wood-top-black-56613.html. I was able to put 99% of my turning things in the long top drawer. Rest of the drawers are filled with screwdrivers, squares and rulers, etc.

derekdd

If I can't find anything, I tell my wife what I'm looking for. Finds it within five minutes. Or to find it: buy another and the lost one shows up he next day. Oh yes, have a label maker, too. Labels on the doors of an old school locker for the larger things.
Best investment was a HF 9 drawer cabinet; https://www.harborfreight.com/46-in...-cabinet-with-solid-wood-top-black-56613.html. I was able to put 99% of my turning things in the long top drawer. Rest of the drawers are filled with screwdrivers, squares and rulers, etc.
I've been thinking about getting one of those to mount a lathe on.

Once you fill it up with tools and accessories, the weight should make for a pretty stable stand.

Woodchipper

derekdd, it also has locking casters. If you decide to leave it in one place, remove the casters. It would drop the top by a few inches. I like it and it's much less $$$ that the ones at the big box stores. Probably made in the same place.

Muddydogs

O ya I like my label maker whether the shop, reloading room or the spice cabinet. Wife wouldn't be surprised if I labeled her and the cat.

Muddydogs

I like this. I need to do something similar. I have a few very heavy boxes and wondered about the cleats you have vs. an entire shelf. I like the cleats since you can put boxes wherever you like.
I made the rails / cleats by ripping a 2x4 1/4" thick by 1" wide and 13" long. Rounded the top corner so the boxes will slide up the end then attached them to 1/2" OSB with Tightbond and 3/4" 18ga brad nails. A couple of my boxes are a bit heavy so we'll see if the rails hold.

Nice thing about this design is I can but 2 medium boxes in 2 slots or 1 big box in the 2 slots so I'm able to swap box sizes around if needed.

Fizzy

That what I did. Except it's a husky from HD. Works very nicely

moke

I bought the craftsman version of that cabinet...because it was 8 drawer and a little lower and put my metal lathe on it. It has a little "wiggle" to it, but I only turn pens and small parts so it is fine.

Top Bottom