Shop Made Vibrating Table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

I received several emails and a couple of replies on my last post asking about the vibrating table I made for casting blanks.

IMG_0419.jpg

The table is made out of 3/8" thick aluminum, but wood would work just as well. It 13 1/2" square and 4" tall. Large enough so I can sit the pressure pot or vacuum canister on it.
IMG_0423.jpg

To keep stuff from vibrating off the table I kept the top about a 1/4" down from the sides.
IMG_0424.jpg

The top floats on 8 small springs so only the top vibrates. This keeps the base from moving around the bench and it also makes it a lot quieter.

For vibration I used an old chair massager that I picked up at a thrift store for a couple bucks. It does a great job. It has 6 vibrators which run in 3 zones, two vibrators per zone. Each zone has a setting for a pulse or constant vib, and 3 different strength settings, high, medium and low. The vibrators are just hot glued to the bottom of the table top and the controller is stuck to the side with velcro. I was worried about the hot glue holding but so far so good.
IMG_0425.jpg

To keep the top in place so it doesn't slide around and vibrate against the side I drilled a 1/4" deep hole into a piece of maple for each spring to fit into.
IMG_0427.jpg

I originally planned on using an old random orbital sander, which I think would do a good job if ya can't find a massager.

I had most of the material kicking around the shop so the whole thing cost me about 15 bucks to make .. Good and cheap :D

Fred

Water beds often have a vibrator that can be attached like Shane has done. They use a variable speed control to speed up or slow down the vibrations. I have used then to settle bubbles out of slow curing epoxy before and they worked great. They should also work with this design. How much do they cost ... I have no idea, but I bet they ain't really cheap though. Maybe you could get some from a discarded water bed frame? [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom