Shop Lighting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob183

Recently moved and my 8x10 shed/shop was just delivered, now it's time to add electricity. Any recommendations for lighting? I want it bright without shadows. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Rob

Look at the 5000 lumen 4 ft LED lamps sold by Harbor Freight.

I installed several of them in my shop a couple of years ago. They are very bright and efficient. Normally, they sell for $29, but they are often on sale for $17-18.

Regardless of what you choose as a light source, painting the ceiling and walls white will improve your lighting considerably.

MRDucks2

You can normally pick up 5k LED lights around 4' long at Harbor Freight or Rural King for $20 or less. Before putting stuff in your shop, paint the inside white. I did with my 12x24 in Texas and it makes a difference. My 35x40 shop at my first place back in Indiana was already white on the inside. Well worth the effort.

moke

they are 4000k, that is whiter than Flouresent. Daylight is considered 5500k to 6500k and inside is that blueish lighting. 4000k to 4500k is considered that "comfort" lighting. I have a degree in photography and majored in lighting. I never liked that range of 4,000k range, and I was hesitant to buy those lights, but I am extremely happy with them. I have 1000 sq ft and have 14 of them. From what I see they are 26.00 now.
Just my .02....

moke

They are shown here:

crokett

I had 3 2 tube flourescent lights in a 12x12 shop. One of them the ballast went a few weeks ago. I replaced the fixture with an LED one. Then I decided I wanted more light over my lathe, so I added another fixture. They're ~40.00 each from Home Depot but they're linkable - plug one in and connect the rest to it. A few days ago I bought another that I will hang over my main work bench. I figure you can never have too much light. I also have a few spot lights for spot work if I need more light.

jttheclockman

Every time I see that shop of yours, Michael, I drool. Would love to have something like that. Enjoy it and work safe.

SteveG

I would consider the informed suggestions found here already for general shop lighting, but then augment with task lighting. For example, I have two small goose neck lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L64XZVY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
attached to my band saw, which I wired into the switch so they are on whenever the tool is running. With the adjustability, and being positioned on both sides of the cut, there are no shadows. I placed a single one on the drill press. The lathe has an overhead 4 foot led and is augmented by two long neck, magnetic based led lights...one is a focused beam, the other more of a flood. Very adaptable for whatever the turning project. Some power tools have built-in lights, but these often fail to light up the critical area where the light is really needed.

Top Bottom