Shop Heater Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi all, Anyone have a good electric shop heater they can recommend? Needs to be 120V. I'd put it in a 2-car garage but, without insulation on 3 walls or the ceiling. I realize these are some difficult constraints, but I don't really want to spend the money to insulate or upgrade the circuitry to 240V since we may decide to move in the next year or so. I'd rather spend the money on those upgrades after we get the "forever" house or after we decide that the current one is our "forever house." I guess all I really need it to do is generate a little warmth in the 5 foot x 8 foot area where my lathe and grinder is located and where I do most of my work.

I'm in Maryland, so not warm but not extremely cold. I'd say it the winters around here usually have temps ranging from 25-30 degrees Fahrenheit. In a cold spell, they'll drop down below 20 but not usually for an extended period of time. I also don't need it SUPER warm while I work. 50 degrees is fine. Just enough to keep my hands warm and nimble, the lathe not too cold to touch, and the resins not too brittle.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

With your 110V constraint, I would suggest you hang sheet plastic/tarps/moving blankets to contain the area you want to heat (Harbor Freight). Mount these floor to ceiling. If you have access to the attic area, you could easily lay down some fiberglass bats just in that area and save some $$.
Rubber floor mats will help keep your feet off the cold concrete.
I recommend keeping your blanks inside where it is warm till you are ready to turn.
As far as 110v heaters, most don't put out a lot of heat but I have found the Pelonis Ceramic Disc heaters to do a very nice job. These do have a thermostat so they will cycle off/on as needed (if you get up to temp) and don't take up much space.
Remember to blow out the filter and heater regularly.
Will you be running both the heater and lathe/tools on the same circuit?...at the same time? Is the circuit 15 or 20 amp? You may find the garage door opener is on a different circuit than the wall receptacle giving you two circuits. A mini lathe should work okay on the lighting/garage door opener circuit. The heater is going to suck up some juice.
I now have two 220V heaters for my garage. I can run both and bring up the temp and then just run one to maintain unless it is very cold or windy. One heater unplugs so I can plug in my air compressor when needed.
Hope this helps!

Not electric but might be an option. I have a heater in my shop that runs on propane (natural gas too) with no electric demand. The brand is Empire and the one I have keeps my shop very toasty even when it's -30 outside. Before I got these I used a dual burner heater that you screw onto a propane tank, it works too but only while it's on. I will say though that insulation in the walls and ceiling would really be a big help and keep the shop space much warmer.

SteveG

I use an electric 240V Fahrenheat unit, and can highly recommend it from my experience, that of my brother and my cousin. If you able to do your own electrical work, it will not end up being overly expensive. (It is a matter of having one 240 V outlet installed near the heater.) From your user satisfaction perspective, I think it is the best choice. Be sure to look at the satisfaction factor as well as the $ cost.

bsshog40

I use a Dewalt 215,000btu space heater in my 20x60 shop. Heats up fast. I only run kerosene in it so I don't have to deal with any diesel smell.

PBorowick

I use a Presto Heat Dish. It's a directional heater with a parabolic dish to direct the heat. Doesn't heat the whole space though.
I use it in my shop all the time and it works great for me.

Woodchipper

With what you describe, you are in the same boat as I was- uninsulated garage that required two electric heaters to get the temp from lower 40s to the lower 60s. Enerco Mr. Heater on LP cylinders. I have one; directional heat. Aim it where you want.

MRDucks2

I have a kerosene torpedo heater I converter to diesel that works great. You do need to crack a window or door. Technically it is a hybrid, diesel and electric.

Top Bottom