shipping to Canada question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Keep the package under 4 pounds of weight and it will go first class mail. Under one pound and the price is not bad at all. The only real problem is for the receiver. They will still have to pay duties, GST and in many cases a brokerage fee.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Keep the package under 4 pounds of weight and it will go first class mail. Under one pound and the price is not bad at all. The only real problem is for the receiver. They will still have to pay duties, GST and in many cases a brokerage fee.
Speaking as a Canadian who has received many parcels form many suppliers, mostly from the U.S.: I'm not able to comment on USPS charges, only on Canada Post charges when I receive the parcel, and it seems to be hit and miss.

Items I order to be sent to me in Ontario from US retailers are subject to HST tax (PST + GST) of 13%. Sometimes I'm charged, sometimes I'm not. Lucky, I guess, mostly I'm not charged (my experience only, yours may be somewhat different). The brokerage fees payable to Canada Post are a most reasonable $5.00. (That's why we ask for USPS service only. No Couriers wanted).
Duties are another matter that I'm not able to comment on since I haven't been charged duties on any parcel I have received from any supplier in the US, and many of them are IAP members.
In short, there is no reason for any supplier in the US to be concerned when shipping goods to us in Canada. Show the goods as pen making supplies, and we receive it in due time.

"The above has been written as my experience only. There are most likely other Canadians who have had far different experiences."

scotian12

I would agree with what Mack has to say on shipments to Canada. They should be sent USPS otherwise there is a stiff brokerage charge. If you are sending a small quantity of rifle cartridges ( i saw your previous posts on free cartridges) then put them in a padded envelope and that will keep the postage charges down. Mark the custom declaration as pen parts. Darrell Eisner in Halifax, Nova Scotia

arioux

Ditto for USPS. If the declared value is under $60. we will rarely pay taxes or brookage fees. Over $60 is a hit and miss thing. Over $100, it's almost a surething. I order and send regurarely (about 5 to 10 times a mount) from/to the US and had problem just once in over 10 years. Flat rate boxes are winners

Carrier will eat your receiver with brooker fees so try to avoid them. And since they pass every parcel thru the brookage, we will pay taxes on everything, including the brookage fee !. That's up to 14% here in Quebec.

ctubbs

I just today sent a flat rate box to Canada. I went online to print the label for the box and selected gift and pen making supplies as customs declaration then carried it to the PO. There the Post Master attached a Customs paper to the package and away it went. From this end, it just cost a bit more than in country boxes, a bit more than double. The new FR fee is $5.20 while the one to North was $11.95. Hope this helps. That was as of today 2:30 ish CST. YMMV
Charles

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
USPS

I send a lot of packages to Canada. If it will go 1st class 8 ounces costs less than $1.00 more than 1st class to the USA. Insurance is higher. I think additional charges from Canadian post and customs depend on the value. Small flat rate boxes, Flat Rate Envelopes and Padded Flat Rate envelopes will run about $12 - $13 for 4 pounds or less insured. The mail can be slow....but the snail pace is usually on the Canadian side of the border. Problem...the small customs label that has to be used on SFRB and FRE is not really trackable once it leaves US Soil.

Speaking as a Canadian who has received many parcels form many suppliers, mostly from the U.S.: I'm not able to comment on USPS charges, only on Canada Post charges when I receive the parcel, and it seems to be hit and miss.

Items I order to be sent to me in Ontario from US retailers are subject to HST tax (PST + GST) of 13%. Sometimes I'm charged, sometimes I'm not. Lucky, I guess, mostly I'm not charged (my experience only, yours may be somewhat different). The brokerage fees payable to Canada Post are a most reasonable $5.00. (That's why we ask for USPS service only. No Couriers wanted).
Duties are another matter that I'm not able to comment on since I haven't been charged duties on any parcel I have received from any supplier in the US, and many of them are IAP members.
In short, there is no reason for any supplier in the US to be concerned when shipping goods to us in Canada. Show the goods as pen making supplies, and we receive it in due time.

"The above has been written as my experience only. There are most likely other Canadians who have had far different experiences."
Ditto for me too!

Gofer

I agree with everyone else, just one thing to add. If you are using a flat rate box make sure that you tape ALL the joints, especially the ends. I had two of the boxes opened during shipping with most of the contents removed last year.

Bruce

Top Bottom