ShellPix; UVEpoxy Resin Finished Pernambuco Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

I'm still on a UV Epoxy Resin/No Sanding expedition (aka addiction).

This one is for an California Academy of Sciences friend who is interested in shells (Fibonacci sequence/spirals, etc).

Steps:
Painted the shell subjects "from life" in acrylics; original paintings are 6x6".
Scaled down the images, then inkjet printed them onto white Sunnyscopa brand decal stock.
Spray-coated the decals with Krylon UV Archival Varnish (3 coats over 3 days).
Turned the Pernambuco smoothly with carbide tools (no sanding; still tired of sanding).
Brush-coated the 1st coat Alumilite UV Epoxy Resin onto the turned barrels.
Cured the epoxy with a 365 nanometer UV lamp (same method as I described in previous posts).
Applied the decals, then alcohol-inked the barrel ends.
Brush-coated the 2nd coat Alumilite UV Epoxy Resin onto the decal'ed/inked barrels.
Cured the epoxy with a 365 nanometer UV lamp
Assembled the Virage chrome fountain pen.

ShellPen,AcrylicPtgs,UVEpoxy,Decal,EtOHInk,EpoxyFinish,markisonJul,2021,capoff,1000px.jpg

ShellPen,AcrylicPtgs,UVEpoxy,Decal,EtOHInk,EpoxyFinish,markisonJul,2021,1000px.jpg

Warm regards to all - Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob in SF

Thanks, Tony!

The UV epoxy resin quest continues.

I'm getting equal results with this remarkably affordable UV resin (using the same 365nm UV lamp, 5 min. curing time at a distance of about 6" from the pen barrel, while slowly hand-rotating the lathe):

Best regards - Bob

JohnU

Bob I love that you put so much time and work into all of your master pieces. I never get tired of seeing your work and it's always an education on how you made them. This one makes me want to pick it up and look at all the colors and character. Beautifully done!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I fell in love with the chambered nautilus many years ago. I have several shells - magnificant. As a SCUBA diver, your artistry is heartfelt!

sorcerertd

That's a beautiful work of art! Just curious, was there a reason you chose the pernambuco wood?
Thanks for the link to the resin. That's another option I may want to explore.

Bob in SF

Thanks, Todd!

I like Pernambuco for it's warmth and color fastness over time, and it turns very smoothly - good candidate for my no sanding program. I also like the way the orange tones deepen when the wood is rubbed (carefully) with a shop towel or cloth while turning at a medium speed - yields some nice gradated tones - this bottle stopper rim was rubbed to intensify the orange and bring out the Owl's eye:
Pernambuco,rubbedtoincreasecolorsaturation.jpg

sorcerertd

this bottle stopper rim was rubbed to intensify the orange and bring out the Owl's eye:
That color is a little more orange than the pen, but it may just be the background/lighting. It reminds me somewhat of Chakte Viga, but sounds like it will hold the color better. I've noticed purpleheart intensifies with friction, too.

My first thought when I saw the stopper, was the eye of a hurricane, but I do see the owl in it. Is the dome created by the wood underneath or by the resin over top of the decal? Does that resin even form and harden in a dome (meniscus)?

Bob in SF

That color is a little more orange than the pen, but it may just be the background/lighting. It reminds me somewhat of Chakte Viga, but sounds like it will hold the color better. I've noticed purpleheart intensifies with friction, too.

My first thought when I saw the stopper, was the eye of a hurricane, but I do see the owl in it. Is the dome created by the wood underneath or by the resin over top of the decal? Does that resin even form and harden in a dome (meniscus)?
Todd - The Night Owl:
First I painted the Night Owl portrait from my initial life drawing of a rescued owl - watercolor under painting, topped with acrylic gouache, 8x8":
NightOwl,robertmarkison,acrylics,600px.jpg

Then I photographed the image, scaled it down, printed it onto dye sublimation paper with sublimation inks using an Epson Ecotank 3760 printer which I converted for dye sublimation work; then heat pressed the paper onto a polyester polymer-treated aluminum disc (400 degrees F x 45 seconds). I domed the disc by hammering it into a concave (Next Wave Automation SD100 CNC router-created) hardwood dapping block (protecting the face-down image with a shop towel to avoid scratching); and inlaid it into the lathe-turned Pernambuco. A friend saw it and requested a handful of them:
MarkisonNightOwlStopperSet,July,21,600px.jpg

This is a fun technique. I plan to scale down some other original artwork for use in pens (and other things).

Best regards - Bob

sorcerertd

@Bob in SF, thanks for sharing your technique on both the pen and stoppers! That's a lot more than I'm going to get myself into for the time being, but I do love your innovation and "mixed media" approach. The painting is beautiful, too!

Top Bottom