Shellac

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdat

I'm new to pen turning, been doing some furniture building for the last "few" years. One of my favorite finishes for furniture has been boiled linseed oil, or Tung oil, with several coats of shellac. Is this finish durable enough for pens, I'm thinking that the shellac won't hold up. Anybody use this "oldtimer" finish on their pens?

JimGo

Do a search of the archives and I'm sure you'll find a lot of discussion on this topic. Or, if you want to take the easy way out, visit http://www.woodturnerruss.com

tommyrobbins

I have been turning pens for only about 5 years, but the finish I find that gives the best resultes is HUT Crystal Coat, it does contains shellac and natural waxes. While I use shellac in other turnings that I mix myself, but on pens I find it does not look as good as Crystal Coat. I also let it dry completely before buffing while still on the mandrel(1 to 3 hours depending on the temp. in the shop). For the larger turning like pepper grinders and larger, shellac or just wax can comes out very good. I also use Micro-Mesh up to 3600, while this will take more time, the finish looks much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom