Shell Casing Pen Makers Question??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I no longer make any bullet pens or any weapon pens and have a bunch of empty brand new shells. Also have the bullets. Also somewhere I have the pen clips. I have both nickel and brass shells. My question before I put up for sale can I ship through USPS mail or do I have to ship UPS or some other service. ?? Do I have to disclose what is being shipped? What are the rules for this now that things have changed so much?? Also can you ship a completed bullet pen. I use to make these. What is the going rate for new shells these days?? How about the bullets. Full metal Jacket copper. ?? Any questions I would have to dig them out and take photos. they are unprimed too.

pensandkeychains.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

You should be able to ship USPS as it's NOT live ammo and presents no possible hazard. If the primers are genuine and not just for show, then it would constitute a hazardous material and be unlawful to ship by mail.
I'm not a lawyer and it may be prudent to inquire about the legality at the post office. As far as prices of components, shell cases etc. they are ridiculously high and somewhat difficult to find.
I'd inquire with the private carriers as well. Can't remember which accepts them but if I remember correctly, between FedEx and UPS only one of them will if it's considered to be hazardous. They also have a hefty surcharge for hazardous materials.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

You should be able to ship USPS as it's NOT live ammo and presents no possible hazard. I'm not a lawyer and it may be prudent to inquire about the legality at the post office. As far as prices of components, shell cases etc. they are ridiculously high and somewhat difficult to find. If the primers are live and not just for show, it would constitute a hazardous material and have to go by private carrier.
I'd inquire with them as well. Can't remember which accepts them but if I remember correctly, between FedEx and UPS only one of them will.
Thanks. I think this week I will pull all that stuff out and take some photos. I am not familiar with this stuff. I just may start trimming down my stock pile of stuff I will not use any more to help my brother so when I pass he has a little less to deal with.

BULLWINKLE

Thanks. I think this week I will pull all that stuff out and take some photos. I am not familiar with this stuff. I just may start trimming down my stock pile of stuff I will not use any more to help my brother so when I pass he has a little less to deal with.
The biggest issue is if it has live primers. If they are pen kits it should be fine !
If they are primed cases purchased for reloading then they MUST NOT GO BY POST OFFICE !

jttheclockman

The biggest issue is if it has live primers. If they are pen kits it should be fine !
If they are primed cases purchased for reloading then they MUST NOT GO BY POST OFFICE !
They are definetly not pen kits. If I remember I drilled the primer area out when I was making them so guess they were unprimed. Again it has been so long ago I even made these. They were the first ones on the scene before all the kits came out. I will pull them out and post photos so I can get more answers.

Last edited:

BULLWINKLE

They are definetly not pen kits. If I remember I drilled the primers out when I was making them. Again it has been so long ago I even made these. They were the first ones on the scene before all the kits came out. I will pull them out and post photos so I can get more answers.
If you "drilled out" live primers, be very thankful that you didn't lose any fingers or hands !!!! Don't take much to make them go BANG !!!!

jttheclockman

If you "drilled out" live primers, be very thankful that you didn't lose any fingers or hands !!!! Don't take much to make them go BANG !!!!
I just went down stairs and looked they are all unprimed. Sort of figured that. Did not realize I had so much. Need to get a list and find out about shipping so I can offer them up here. Variety of shells and also bullets. Also need to get some kind of pricing on this stuff.

jttheclockman

Yea after I said that I had to go check because I am sure I was not drilling a live primer after I mentioned it. As I said it has been so long ago I made those things. Just want nothing to do with weapons pens any more. Leave that to all those that like those lever action and bolt action pens. Way too many nice kits on the market in my eyes. Will get to it sometime this week.

BULLWINKLE

I just went down stairs and looked they are all unprimed. Sort of figured that. Did not realize I had so much. Need to get a list and find out about shipping so I can offer them up here. Variety of shells and also bullets. Also need to get some kind of pricing on this stuff.

BULLWINKLE

Clockman. 1st question answered. They should be ok to mail.
2nd question: Go online to search for reloading supplies. It will give you a guideline for pricing the components.
On the cases you have there should be a head stamp showing you the caliber.
Here's a few links:

If you need more, do a search for reloading components.

Kenny Durrant

My opinion on cleaning up for when I'm gone. I'm trying to leave our son and a few other relatives something to inherit. I feel if they're going to receive what I've worked for all my life they can go through and sort things out. Not try to change your thoughtfulness it's just my opinion. Ha Ha

jttheclockman

My opinion on cleaning up for when I'm gone. I'm trying to leave our son and a few other relatives something to inherit. I feel if they're going to receive what I've worked for all my life they can go through and sort things out. Not try to change your thoughtfulness it's just my opinion. Ha Ha
Oh Ken, he is going to have alot to get rid of. He will become a popular member here for sure. I told him over and over again this is the first place to reach out for help selling all the pen equipment and supplies. I just ran into those shell casings the other day as I continuedly looking for the parts for my pen cabinet that I had mentioned in my other thread and still no luck and I have looked everywhere possible. But I saw these things and they will never be used again for sure and just taking up space. I put up a few things last year on FB and have a few more to go again next year. I told him his alternative is to get a big dumpster here and just chuck everything but as he is doing just think of the thousands of dollars he is throwing away. Besides I do not have much family left. He would be the only one that has some idea of what I did and what things are worth and that is why he has been chosen.

jttheclockman

Clockman. 1st question answered. They should be ok to mail.
2nd question: Go online to search for reloading supplies. It will give you a guideline for pricing the components.
On the cases you have there should be a head stamp showing you the caliber.
Here's a few links:

If you need more, do a search for reloading components.
Is there a difference between reloading and brand new. I looked at some of the links you gave and see the words reloading and look at the photos and the shells looked tarnished as if fired before. These are pristine never been fired.

I no longer make any bullet pens or any weapon pens and have a bunch of empty brand new shells. Also have the bullets. Also somewhere I have the pen clips. I have both nickel and brass shells. My question before I put up for sale can I ship through USPS mail or do I have to ship UPS or some other service. ?? Do I have to disclose what is being shipped? What are the rules for this now that things have changed so much?? Also can you ship a completed bullet pen. I use to make these. What is the going rate for new shells these days?? How about the bullets. Full metal Jacket copper. ?? Any questions I would have to dig them out and take photos. they are unprimed too.

View attachment 361474
A few years back I tried to send once fired, deprimed cases to Canada. I was told by USPS, UPS and FedEx that was not allowed. If you plan to to send them outside the U.S. be sure to check and make sure you can.

PreacherJon

Only if you are sending it out of the country, you may want to find out if any restrictions. Years ago I made 30-30 pen complete with bullet nib and sent it to Canada. It took him over a month to get it. Apparently, they don't scan to well. The buyer said it must have been opened 3 different times.

Muddydogs

I use to use a de-priming die but presoaked the live primers in oil for several days. Never had an issue with primers going boom.
That's because primers are hard to set off, they require a hard sharp strike. If you drained the oil and let it dry the primers would still go off. Primers have set underwater for weeks and once dry they fire just fine.

Sylvanite

My question before I put up for sale can I ship through USPS mail or do I have to ship UPS or some other service. ?? Do I have to disclose what is being shipped? What are the rules for this now that things have changed so much?? Also can you ship a completed bullet pen.
It has been a while since I got out of that business, but the rules for shipping within the US (as I remember them) are:
  • Boxed primers are classified as hazmat and require special shipping procedures.
  • Bulk powder, primed shellcases, and live ammunition cannot be mailed. They may only be shipped via ground and must be marked "ORM-D".
  • Fired or deprimed shellcases, bullets, and completed cartridge pens can be mailed without restriction or special marking. I mailed cartridge pen kits routinely without any issues.
International shipping rules vary by country. Some countries ban reloading components and "replica munitions" (including pens) altogether.

I hope that helps,
Eric

That's because primers are hard to set off, they require a hard sharp strike. If you drained the oil and let it dry the primers would still go off. Primers have set underwater for weeks and once dry they fire just fine.

Good point. When I removed live primers in my shooting days I didn't let the oil dry before I de-primed the case. I learned the oil technique from a guy that had been shooting a lot longer than I had. Like I said, I've de-primed 100's of cases and never had one ignite. Doesn't mean they can't, it just never happened to me. I would suggest to anyone doing this that they do use protective equipment. Eye, hand and ear protection at least.

Muddydogs

I've deprimed 1000's of primers without doing anything to them as most were reused without issue but going slow and using caution is always a good thing.

As for selling the components you might do alright selling to reloaders if you have the right calibers and decent bullets in large enough quantities, most reloaders don't want 20 of this and 30 of that. I would think your best bet would be to sell as pen components were smaller quantities are fine plus pen makers seem to pay a premium price for what most reloaders would consider subpar components.

Take a pic of the whole pile and post it on your local FB market page, stuff might get bought up right away.

jttheclockman

It has been a while since I got out of that business, but the rules for shipping within the US (as I remember them) are:
  • Boxed primers are classified as hazmat and require special shipping procedures.
  • Bulk powder, primed shellcases, and live ammunition cannot be mailed. They may only be shipped via ground and must be marked "ORM-D".
  • Fired or deprimed shellcases, bullets, and completed cartridge pens can be mailed without restriction or special marking. I mailed cartridge pen kits routinely without any issues.
International shipping rules vary by country. Some countries ban reloading components and "replica munitions" (including pens) altogether.

I hope that helps,
Eric
Hello Eric. I believe it was you way back when I started making these that did a writeup on how you made them. I believe it was you that got me started on these things. How to drill them out and use of soldering and use of heat shrink to keep the refill centered and the whole nine yards. It was a good way to use up some slimline kits that I never made. They did OK at shows but I just am uncomfortable making them any more. With so many beautiful kits out there I moved on. Thanks for the help. I will check in with post office. If I can ship like that it would make it easier.

jttheclockman

Just an update on this thread I started. Looks like I will be able to offer and ship these cartridges and bullets without a problem. I am trying to get a price list together but I am not a hunter or gun guy and looking through all these web sites is confusing. I basically have 308. 30-06, and 25-06 shells in both nickel and brass. Seems there is a rarity of nickel any more so getting prices is tough go. Have the copper bullets to go with these also and that too is confusing for a novelist. But I will do my best and in the coming days I will get photos and list the sale. I am also looking for my pen rifle clips that I got and they are the old style but have some in chrome and gold. Again have to find them. Just wanted to let you know I did not forget this. Just been busy this week with family matters.

Muddydogs

What's so confusing? Your selling stuff to pen turners not reloaders so just google new or once fired 308 brass and get a price per case. One thing about it if you purchased this stuff over 5 years ago you paid very little for it compared to today's prices so you can join the price gouging group.

Woodchipper

What's so confusing? Your selling stuff to pen turners not reloaders so just google new or once fired 308 brass and get a price per case. One thing about it if you purchased this stuff over 5 years ago you paid very little for it compared to today's prices so you can join the price gouging group.
That could cross the line as being classed as a dealer that would require a Federal Firearms License. If you sell the components, it doesn't matter who buys them.

Muddydogs

Nope selling personal components is legal, where people get into trouble is manufacturing and selling loaded ammo which you do need a certain FFL for.
Brass, primers, powder, cases and bullets are traded freely at least in the free states.
Powder is almost impossible for the private citizen to ship, primers are a pain to ship but the rest is good to ship since all your shipping is brass, copper and lead.

Muddydogs

Just an update on this thread I started. Looks like I will be able to offer and ship these cartridges and bullets without a problem. I am trying to get a price list together but I am not a hunter or gun guy and looking through all these web sites is confusing. I basically have 308. 30-06, and 25-06 shells in both nickel and brass. Seems there is a rarity of nickel any more so getting prices is tough go. Have the copper bullets to go with these also and that too is confusing for a novelist. But I will do my best and in the coming days I will get photos and list the sale. I am also looking for my pen rifle clips that I got and they are the old style but have some in chrome and gold. Again have to find them. Just wanted to let you know I did not forget this. Just been busy this week with family matters.

You need to stop calling them cartridges unless your selling loaded ready to fire ammunition. What you have is brass cases and bullets. If you go to UPS with a package and state you're mailing cartridges you're going to have shipping issues. Technically all you need to put in the what your shipping box would be brass, lead and copper because that's what your shipping.

jttheclockman

Will say this any price I do sell for will be less than what you can buy at any vendor now and that is what counts. If no one wants to buy them I am not forcing them on anybody. They are small enough to go back in storage. No problem.

Muddydogs

Let me know especially if the brass is new untouched as I'll buy it for reloading. I just can't bring myself to wreck perfectly good brass to make pens but then again I am a brass scrounging *******.
I might try this with some brass that's past it's reloading life as I can shine it up really good but then again if I want to mess with brass I'll reload and keep wood working with mostly wood.

jttheclockman

Let me know especially if the brass is new untouched as I'll buy it for reloading. I just can't bring myself to wreck perfectly good brass to make pens but then again I am a brass scrounging *******.
I might try this with some brass that's past it's reloading life as I can shine it up really good but then again if I want to mess with brass I'll reload and keep wood working with mostly wood.
I will post the ad soon. Need to take photos. All brass and bullets are new and unprimed.

Top Bottom