shelf life

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carvingfarmer

This is my first post on IAP. I am trying to get set up to make some feather blanks, willing to try something new. I had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands two weeks ago and am not supposed to do much for the next two weeks. I am using this time to assemble what I need to cast. I have a done a lot of reading on this site about that. I have recently come into possession of a small pressure pot for nothing from my local body shop. I am going to order some silmar41 and was wondering what the shelf life of a gallon can of the stuff is? Any tricks to making it last a long time? Thanks in advance. Jared

Ps I have learned a lot reading all of the posts on here, a lot of real knowledgable people on board.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

Don't leave it in a hot building, it is heat activated. Other than that mine don't last long enough to set up. send brooks803 a message as he is the resident pro at casting blanks. Crickett and JohnU are your feather casting pros here. I am the rank amatuer that wonders how they do it so well.

Phil

ctubbs

Welcome Jared, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. You mention that you have read some of the site, be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

its_virgil

From the mfg the shelf life is 6 mos from the time it was made...not from the time you first bought or opened your can. It is prepromoted so it is slowly slowly curing. I've had it last longer but rarely have a gallon last over 6 weeks. Keeping it in my garage in our hot Tex sumers hasn't seemed to have any ill effecfs on it.
Do a good turn daily!
don

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Forum runner

Phunky_2003

I recently bought a can from another IAP member here who was told his wasnt any good. It was over a year old. I talked to him later just before he dumped it, and offered him twice posted.

It was fine. But like Virgil said it does depend alot on how and where its stored. I used that can in the matter of 2 days. I wouldnt recommend letting it get more than the 6 months age.

Top Bottom