Shaving Brush

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

My shop has been about 100 degrees for several weeks now so I haven't been making much. A monsoon blew in yesterday evening and cooled things off (relatively speaking) so I got to work today. I cast this blank yesterday before it hit and had no idea it would cool off enough to make it. I figured I'd sit on it until Sept or Oct when it cools down but this was a gift. I also rough turned two red cedar bowls and threw them into paper bags with the shavings to let them dry (my shop smells heavenly). It's been a productive day for the middle of summer in the Phoenix area.

Handle was made with Silmar 41 and I only used two colors, but mica has a way of blending and giving off more color than what is actually there. Wetsanded 220 through 12K MM, Novus 3 & 2, then buffed on the wheels with blue rouge. I didn't permanently set the knot because I plan on using it in a different handle and will order another for this one.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

Glad you got enough of a break in the weather to get a little shop time in. That's a nice looking brush Jay! I like the gradation of colors. I had never heard of blue rouge so I looked it up: Blue Polishing Buffing Compound Rouge for plastics. So it must be a finer polish than the Novus 3 & 2 since you used it last? Do you have a separate buffing wheel for it?

I bought some cherry burl slabs and made some pen blanks which are stabilizing in Cactus Juice. I hope to cast and turn some soon. I'm up to my elbows in organizing wood to make cutting boards and ordered a WEN planer last night. Stay tuned...

Glad you got enough of a break in the weather to get a little shop time in. That's a nice looking brush Jay! I like the gradation of colors. I had never heard of blue rouge so I looked it up: Blue Polishing Buffing Compound Rouge for plastics. So it must be a finer polish than the Novus 3 & 2 since you used it last? Do you have a separate buffing wheel for it?

I bought some cherry burl slabs and made some pen blanks which are stabilizing in Cactus Juice. I hope to cast and turn some soon. I'm up to my elbows in organizing wood to make cutting boards and ordered a WEN planer last night. Stay tuned...

Thanks Steve. Honestly I'm not sure how fine the blue is compared to Novus. Maybe 2 or 3 times it actually dulled the shine a bit, once on an all black pen, so I went back to the Novus 2. With those exceptions, it definitely gets some of the finer scratches out left behind by the Novus, so I'll keep using it. Yes, I have a wheel for that rouge only and a wheel for buffing it off that gets used for nothing else.

Sounds like you have your hands full. Good luck with your projects, I know you'll be posting some awesome pictures for us to see.

Dehn0045

Fantastic work Jay! I feel your pain here in Houston - daily average temps over 90, so a little cooler, but the humidity is a kicker here. Looking forward to November!

Top Bottom