Shaving brush from antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

hilltopper46

This is the first shaving brush I have turned for a customer. The antler makes the brush seem really heavy to me. I would really appreciate comments and/or suggestions.

I put the button in the end away from the knot in an effort to seal the porosity of the marrow. The button is turned from a pen blank cut-off of stabilized buckeye burl.

It actually isn't glued together yet pending approval from the client.

Thanks for looking/commenting.

Attachments

• IMGP4135.JPG
    IMGP4135.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMGP4138-1.JPG
    IMGP4138-1.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMGP4139.JPG
    IMGP4139.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMGP4136.JPG
    IMGP4136.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 340
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

Nice brush.but out of curiosty is there anyway you could have turned the button out of a small piece of antler? just a thought.

shortcast

Love it

"Manly, yes! But I like it too!"

CK's idea of an antler button would be cool. Can the button be recessed more?

My oldest boy is nearly shaving age now. I think we'll try this pretty soon!

hilltopper46

Thanks for the kind remarks. It's glued together and on it's way to the client, now.

...out of curiosty is there anyway you could have turned the button out of a small piece of antler? just a thought.

I really thought about that, to the point of digging through my antler cut-off box trying to find just the right piece that would work. I think the biggest reason I didn't go ahead with it was I ran out of patience and possibly was running a little short on time, as well.

CK's idea of an antler button would be cool. Can the button be recessed more?

Yes, if I do another one I will try to flatten the button quite a bit more. See above comment about running out of time.

And, also the old reason of sometimes you get to where you accept good enough because you know that touching that thing about one more time with the skew means doing the whole thing over.:biggrin:

Top Bottom