Sharpening Versa Chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

A while back (like a few years) I got a set of the Penn State Versa Chisels (aka Sorby Spindle Master). I haven't done much with them. I've watched a few videos and I know that sharpening them is just making sure the top of the chisel is flat. The bevel shouldn't be touched, at lest not with a grinder. I am wondering if performance would be improved if the bevel were polished. I have seen a Spindle Master in the past, and it had a much smoother bevel than the Versa Chisel does. If so, how high a grit do I need to go to on the bevel and should I go as far as polishing it on a wheel? I went to 1000 grit sandpaper and already see a visual difference on the 2 I've worked on vs the one I have not touched yet. I have not tried cutting with them yet.

TonyL

I have a Sorby SM and have only flattened the top. I thought the same thing, but stuck with the flap top only.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This guy shows how to polish the Spindle Master. I have no knowledge of the Versa Chisel. But I'll check it out. Yes I see it. The bevel is polished to leave a smooth finish.

Also wish I hadn't given away my SM.

crokett

Thanks. I watched that video. I was wondering more how critical a shiny bevel is to the quality of the cut. I did work on the bevels on my tools some and they are improved but I have not polished them. They seem to cut well after a bit of testing yesterday. My stone has 120 and 240 grit sides.

Top Bottom