Sharpening mill cutter heads.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, question about the cutter heads on the pen mills. How do you sharpen yours[?].. is it worth it to sharpen or just get new one... I probably need to get one for the wood and another for the horn that I work with.. all of mine are getting pretty dull.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Send it to me! I sharpen pen mills for $12.50 for one (return shipping included) $5 each for additional ones. Trough in your drill bits ( a few) and I'll do them too.

Randy_

I like eagles idea of using a diamond file to sharpen the flutes. See item "C" in the picture below.

200611492347_folding%20file.jpg

Some folks use a powered grinder; but that makes me nervous. Way too easy to remove material and way too difficult to remove material uniformly on all four cutters.....just too easy to screw things up unless you are a very experienced sharpener or have the necessary jigs and tools to do it properly.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You cannot beat a professionally sharpened mill.
That being said.You can touch up the mill by running a diamond stone UP the side of the flutes(90* to the cutting surface, the plane that is parallel to the top of the blank.I NEVER touch the flat side.I do 8 passes on each side.This is counterintuitive to normal sharpening procedures but it works.It doesn't replace a regrinding of the "edge" by someone who has the proper set up.
Lowe's sells a small diamond stone and nylon belt case in their knife section for $6.00.
It is milled out of steel with square edges. I bought it for and only use it for this purpose.
The purpose of a mill is to ake a moating surface perfectly flat and square to the tube,I don't trust that to my eye and a grinder.If you can do it better to you.I know and accept my limitations.
Also I have that universal set from PSI and an extra 3/4 cutting head.It works great, occasionally I need to use the re loaders chamfering tool from AS.Indispensable.

No I agree on the mill... I never get a good flat surface on the sander.. just wondering if anyone else did.. I have two or three... I have a 1/2 & 3/4 cutter on 7mm shaft, plus 3/4 on 10mm shaft, then when my son gave up his lathe setup, I got his mills too.

I'll look at Lowe's next time I'm there.. have to save up my money... every trip to Lowe's costs me about $100... I usually just pay at the door and leave when I've used it up.

I think I have a diamond stone that might work.

epson

I use the PSI Universal Barrel Trim Jig. It works like a champ. I always get a nice square end regardless of the size of the tube.

Randy_

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />No I agree on the mill... I never get a good flat surface on the sander..... just wondering if anyone else did.. I have two or three... I have a 1/2 & 3/4 cutter on 7mm shaft, plus 3/4 on 10mm shaft, then when my son gave up his lathe setup, I got his mills too.....

Chuck: It might be a good idea to send all of those mills to Paul to get started off on the right foot. If you have put a power tool...sander or grinder.... to them, chances are the cutting geometry is no longer correct and no amount of honing with a diamond hone will fix it. You may be able to sharpen the individual cutting edges; but if the geometry is not right, chances are high that the mill still will not cut properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom