Sharpening Jijs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim in Suisun

I got a delta VS Grainder for Fathers Day. I already have a Tormek. Which does a great job on plane irons and chisels. But to me it is slow grinding on turning tools. So with the new grinder I'm looking at the Sharp fast or the Wolverine grinding jig. I was watching a dvd of Richard Raffin and he was using a bench speed grinder, with the Aluminum Oxide wheel. it seems much much faster. Any advice? Thanks Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Richard Raffin has been grinding chisels for over 30 years. Few can duplicate his results in the quickness that he does it.

That being said, I like the wolverine.

Wildman

Biggest advantage to a sharpening jig is ability to get repeatability at the grinder. Yes, there is a small learning curve to using a jig.

I can sharpen my tools without a jig, but still use my Wolverine jig. Think the basic Wolverine System with optional Vari-grind attachment is all you need to handle all your turning tool sharpening.

Have the Skew & Dressing attachments too; don't think most folks really need them. I free hand sharpen skew chisels on the bar attachment that comes with dressing attachment.

lorbay

I have the Wolverine on both of my grinders (one 3400 rpm and the other 1750 rpm). I think its a great system, but once you try the new Raptors from Craft Supplies you will never go back. One other thing is you must use the aluminum oxide wheels on HSS tool steel. Most are white but some are pink and blue. Before I got into turning I used to just use the gray wheel that comes with the grinder, even if it was for just sharpening drill bits. But when I changed the the white wheels it was so much better.

Good luck.

Lin.

onewaywood

Why don't you buy the new Jig from Tormek "$57.00" then you can use all your Tormek jigs on your dry Grinder.. works great !!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom