Sharpening a roughing gouge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Any tips for freehand sharpening a spindle roughing gouge? I got the Kodiak jig from Ken Rizza but he does not recommend using it for a roughing gouge. He's got a platform in the works that should allow shaping and sharpening a roughing gouge (if I understand him). So I'm left to freehand until the platform is available. I tried it last night. Didn't go well. The bevel looks like hammered aluminum.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

By "freehand" do you mean holding the tool in your hands with no other support at all? That would be just like pushing your gouge into a blank spinning on the lathe without the tool rest ... not going to be a pretty result.

If your grinder has any kind of rest at all (my understanding is that most grinders come with something, however flimsy), arrange it so the tool can lie flat on the table and meets the wheel at the angle you want. Leave the tool in contact with the table, simply roll it from one wing to the other. The handle should not change direction, keep it pointing at you, don't swing the tool just roll it across the width of the grinding wheel.

TonyL

After a few tries, it goes real easy. You can always use a diamond or CBN "card" to sharpen and rely of the wheels when it is time to restore its shape/profile.

donstephan

Not at all familiar with the "Kodiak" system. I use a Robo Rest platform by Reed Gray, easily and quickly adjustable in 5 degree increments. Search on Youtube using "Robo Rest."

Woodchipper

I use the Wolverine system to start turning. I have found that a few strokes with the blue (coarse) DMT diamond file results in a good edge.

Woodchipper

I turned some Bethlehem olive wood today. Didn't fire up the grinder/Wolverine setup. Hit the edge with a coarse DMT diamond file and got a good edge. Wood turned great- had to take care not to press too hard as the wood turned down fast.

Top Bottom