Sharing a positive review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darrin

Darrin

I had to share because this story touched me so much.
The following was a review/feedback on a project I did for someone:

Before I was born, my grandfather planted a cherry tree. It grew big and strong and produced wonderful cherries that my cousins and I would pick with our grandfather for all sorts of treats. Those days were so beautiful and fun.
As we grew into our mid teens, we would still visit our grandparents and always take a visit to the tree, especially in bloom. It was just always there, just like our grandparents were. It was always a reminder of the fun times we had growing and bonding. A safe space to be.
Sadly, my grandfather had a sudden stroke due to a medical mistake doctors made... our whole family was there when he was unresponsive, and eventually, ended life support. It was, by far, one of the worst moments in our young lives. As it was for our parents who just lost their father to such an avoidable disaster. And our poor grandmother.. we all watched him pass on, far too soon.
He was, and will always be, loved by a great many of people.
Not too many years after my grandfathers passing and a disease reaps the trees of the area that mainly targeted the elms. Every tree was at risk. Everyone fought so hard to protect the cherry tree. Sadly, it slowly started to falter in its health. It still lasted a long time. And we still never cut it down. It was just too difficult. It no longer produced cherries, and it looked sickly.
Finally. It was gone. There was no life left in it to be saved and it was time to take it down. It was a sad time. Almost as if taking down a memory of the great times we had. But it had to be done.
I asked my parents to save me some pieces of the tree, as I couldn't just let it all go.. I didnt know what I would do with the pieces or if anything was possible after having such a traumatic disease.
Thankfully... there was something I could have done that would let everyone in the family have a great piece of this memory. Such a small, simple item with a power all it's own and a memory as powerful as ever.
Each is so different and unique. I don't know anyone that would have been able to pull it off with all the wood rot and distress the poor tree has endured. No other than Darrin Thomas. It was a challenge for sure. If anyone could have done it, it was him, and he proved it beyond a doubt! Darrin, thank you so dearly for these beautiful pieces and the skill, spirit, and patience you put into them. The importance of these gifts is more than anyone can imagine. Biggest thank you and biggest respect to you!
The memories live on 🌳🖋

Attachments

• 27C4C0F2-6812-4AA9-96D8-1C114F264A11.jpeg
    27C4C0F2-6812-4AA9-96D8-1C114F264A11.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

What a lovely story !!!!! . (Reminds me of similar event with my own grandfather !)

What lovely pens !!!!! . Very nice memorabilia for the family !!!!!

Beautiful pens and wonderful story. What a great way to remember loved ones and to know what you've produced will be cherished by those family members for many years to come.

Top Bottom