Server Concern

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Just a heads-up folks... I have a sinking feeling that there is something very wrong at our hosting company. The control panel has been offline for a couple days, nobody answers the phone, and their on-line chat is non-responsive. I have seen hosting companies go belly-up with little or no warning, throwing all their clients off the air, so I am getting very concerned. I'm in the process of formulating a plan, but if we go dark before I can take some action, that's why. In that event, I'll post updates on our Facebook page until I can get us back in operation.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Jeff! My screen went all white on me last night around 1:00 AM and was the same this morning until around 7:00 AM Had no idea why.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, all. Server was down for quite some time this morning. Thanks to those who messaged to let me know.

I'm actively working a host change and with it will come new forum software and lots of cool new features. I'm taking a very methodical approach to this, so it won't happen overnight, but it's definitely coming. I've selected the new forum software and a new hosting company, and I'm interviewing a couple of companies to do the migration.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Any hint on what software you decided to use Jeff?

Thank you for all you and the volunteers do to keep this site running.

XenForo 2.0 with a variety of add-ons for a gallery, etc. I've been considering the options for several years, and XF 1.0 was always a front runner. Now that 2.0 is available and maturing, it's the logical choice for us. It has a lot of the vBulletin (our current forum) feel on the user and the admin side, so it should be a reasonably easy switch.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Is XenForo 2.0 something we can search to get a preview? It sounds cool. Thanks for looking after us! :biggrin:

Sorry...it's not unusual for me to ask a question... then go look for the answer. I found it.

Last edited:

Gersh

As others have already stated if theres anything I can do to help or support in this endeavor please do not hesitate to reach out!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Jeff, can we donate to help cover the costs of the conversion?

Hi Sharon and others. As Jeff indicated, he will keep the membership apprised of the needs.

But, any upgrades to the software or improved features would be of benefit to the entire membership. So, the Little Yellow PayPal Box above is always there for anyone to consider. Yes, I'm going there shortly.

Just ponder this future: Next month, IAP may not be here (won't happen, just chatting). No chats, no library, no pens posted to admire or debate. So we can all subscribe/tune in to the Home Shopping Network :eek::eek::eek:. I'll support IAP.

jttheclockman

My question would there be a possibility that we may lose things like we did on the last move such as photos or threads . I have been on 2 other scrollsawing sites that they moved and we lost our albums. I remember there were things lost here as well when we moved. Just a question in case we need to save things before a move.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
My question would there be a possibility that we may lose things like we did on the last move such as photos or threads . I have been on 2 other scrollsawing sites that they moved and we lost our albums. I remember there were things lost here as well when we moved. Just a question in case we need to save things before a move.

John

What was lost in the last move? It was in '09 I think, and honestly I don't remember.

The goal is to preserve everything.

One of the things I was waiting for was a clean way to migrate the images in our gallery to a new photo management add-on. There is still an issue with that which needs to be sorted, but it's getting close.

jttheclockman

John

What was lost in the last move? It was in '09 I think, and honestly I don't remember.

The goal is to preserve everything.

One of the things I was waiting for was a clean way to migrate the images in our gallery to a new photo management add-on. There is still an issue with that which needs to be sorted, but it's getting close.

I thought it was earlier than that.

jttheclockman

It was back in 2008 and looking back at some of those old threads you really had your hands full with that change over. Hopefully things go alot smoother this time now that you have some experience under your belt. Good luck and thanks for keeping the lights on here.:):)

Lucky2

Jeff, you state that if there is a problem and any changeover in servers or whatever. We can find the I.A.P. on Facebook, but, what about those of us who have little to nothing to do with Facebook? I am one, and I'm sure that there are many more. How are we to find out? Especially if, we're not on here on a daily basis? I know that there's times, that I'm absent from here for days in a row. It's not by choice, but unfortunately, it does happen.

Len

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, you state that if there is a problem and any changeover in servers or whatever. We can find the I.A.P. on Facebook, but, what about those of us who have little to nothing to do with Facebook? I am one, and I'm sure that there are many more. How are we to find out? Especially if, we're not on here on a daily basis? I know that there's times, that I'm absent from here for days in a row. It's not by choice, but unfortunately, it does happen.

Len

Yes, many of us avoid FB. I was only giving that as one very short-term notification option in the event that our hosting company had gone completely dark. When we finally move, there will be lots of notice, a status page completely separate from the main server, and you'll always know what's going on.

Top Bottom