Serpentine + Rose Swirl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenHog

PenHog

Hi All,

This is something I made for a long-time friend's 50th birthday.

The cap finial piece has initials, while the body finial piece has the number 50; ugh, unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of that second finial piece. The appearance of the materials differ depending on whether or not its in direct sunlight.

Some details below for those who might be interested in the construction, along with materials used.

Have a nice weekend!

----------------------------

Section + Nib Alignment: The red acrylic has 4 alternating light and dark lines that I matched up along the body and section. I did this by threading, and then sanding the body threads by some tiny, tiny amount to get the alignment.

The nib also lines up with a light line. I've found that this is easily done by turning the last bit of threading inside of the section by hand. That is, the tap is placed in the headstock (since I'm right-handed), and I slide/screw the section on for the final tiny bit of threading. It takes some force, but it gives me fine-grained control.

I sculpted a lip on the section, which my wife likes on her own pens, as it can improve the grip. I also hid the small lip of the Bock housing, which I personally prefer.

Roll Stop: I opted for a roll stop instead of a clip because this older material has a habit of cracking easily. I've seen at least one person selling their Danitrio pens made from Mazzucchelli, and these were discounted due to cracking around the clip where it inserts into the cap. A roll stop works nicely and shows off more of the material. It's a solid gold stud earring, so no problem with wearing down to any base metal.

When drilling the cap, I used a smaller bit (than the standard 13.2mm) once I was past the section. This allows for a thicker wall to work with attaching the roll stop. I drilled and glued the roll stop in place, while keeping a portion of the shaft attached to provide more anchoring.

Body: No step down. I cut a tenon for the red acrylic, glued in place, and then turned/threaded as the body as a single piece. This allows me to make a sharp stop to the threads. I've found that the triple lead die doesn't always terminate evenly.

Materials:
Mazzucchelli, sometimes referred to as ``Serpentine''.
Omas Bologna Rose Swirl from Vince at A Turners Workshop (UK)
Bock #6 triplet, gold plated nib and 1.1mm stub from FP Nibs.
Finial pieces, gold filled, from Renee Francois at Wear It Personalized (Etsy)
Roll Stop, 14K solid gold, from Enn at teenytinyNY (Etsy)
Standard International Converter

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 263
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 247
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beautiful pen !!!!

I like that red section !!!

Thanks for showing !!!

What threads did you use for section to body, and also cap to body ?

Last edited:

PenHog

Beautiful pen !!!!

I like that red section !!!

Thanks for showing !!!

What threads did you use for section to body, and also cap to body ?

Thanks, Mal!

For section to body, I use an M10x1.

For cap to body M14x0.8.

I'd like to get my hands on an M15 triple lead, but I've blown all my pen-making money for this year :)

PenHog

Thanks, David and Jim!

(David, come over to the dark side and make kit-less pens with us! I'm sorry to hear about your wife's ankle, sounds terrible.)

Top Bottom