Semi customizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Yegg

I have finally realized what one of my biggest complaints about the kits I have been buying is. The pen part, the part you hold to write with, is not long enough. I am not a big fan of postable (is that correct?) pens so what to do? I realized the solution is actually pretty simple. I cut the brass tube in half, after making sure the pressed parts would have enough material to clamp into, and simply glued them in on opposite ends of my pen blank.

Now that I have done that, what is the downside to doing it this way?

Elliott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
1. You'd have to make something inside for the RB spring to press against.
2. Sometimes the parts take a fair bit of pressure to assemble and a thin unsupported section in the middle could crush while you press in the parts.
3. The balance and appearance of the pen may make it look very odd.

If you don't like postable pens, then make them closed ended or get the non-postable version.

Yegg

The metal parts are easy to make as I have all metalworking equipment next to my one lonely wood working tool (my mini lathe). With that said, thanks for reminding me about the need for a post for the spring. I already have pin spacers that I can thread as needed. Then again, this dilemma only applies to rollerball. I tend to make fountain pens so that is not a concern and also why I did not think of it. I will let you know about the balance. I think my threaded pins can assist with that issue as well if needed. Thanks!

Elliott

frank123

Make a closed end body and you don't have to worry about the tube at both ends.

If you're gonna modify it you might as well go just a little different end result (appearance) with a closed end.

I think longer tubes should be available as well if you want to keep it that way, the strength may suffer with no tube in the middle if you drill it all the way through for a tube but don't have any tube in the center.

Joe S.

Have you tried the atrax? It sounds like it would fit the bill of 'thin section' and 'non-postable'. The RB and FP are one of my favorite kits, and I'm waiting on a box from Exotics to try out the BP!

Top Bottom