Selling to UK buyers no more...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I know that any country and or business from the 1 January 2021 will need to comply with the new rules called "Brexit".

This means that I have no hope in hell to be able to comply with all those rules and quite honestly I'm glad that I don't have to but the cost of all that is that I won't be able to sell any of my woods to the UK from the beginning of the new year so if there is anyone in the UK that wants to buy any blanks from me I suggest that you do it now otherwise I won't be able to, sorry.

Here is a resume of what Brexit is all about.

Cheers
George

Starting January 1, 2021, businesses selling to and from the UK will be subject to new regulations, customs, and duties because of the UK's exit from the EU. Make sure George's Bits of Timber complies with the new laws to avoid products getting delayed at customs, unhappy customers, and potential fines.

Here are a few things you need to consider if you are selling to the UK:

• Register for UK VAT: You will need to register for UK VAT and collect VAT on orders below £135. If you are unsure how VAT rules impact your business, contact HM Revenue & Customs or a local tax professional.
  • Update tax settings in Shopify:To start collecting VAT in the UK, you'll have to add your tax information in Shopify.
  • Apply for EORI: You should apply for an Economic Registration and Identification (EORI) number if you don't have one already. This unique ID code is used to identify your business in customs documents. Get your EORI number by registering with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
  • Review customs documentation: You may have to provide necessary customs documentation to avoid delays and make sure your customers get their orders on time. Customs documents may include your EORI number, VAT amount collected on shipment, VAT registration ID, and other details like harmonized system (HS) code, product description, country of origin, and value of each product in the shipment. For more information, work with your shipping carriers to understand what additional documents are required while shipping to the UK or the EU.
We'll provide you with more information on the blog in the coming weeks. In the meantime, learn more about how Brexit may affect your business.

[h3][/h3]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

And just when I thought that things couldnt get any worse this year.
I'm sorry that I won't be able to open any more boxes of yours, George.
Alan

1080Wayne

They will get even worse Alan because small businesses in the US , Canada , Australia , NZ , SA , and everywhere else in the world will face the same problem . The only hope for small businesses exporting to the UK will be a threshold limit below which an exporter is exempt from those requirements .

The GDPR requirements of the EU are a similar pain for non-EU businesses , which will also get worse with new rules just being released . Small businesses are in peril all around the world , and those making the rules are frequently in the pockets of the multi-nationals .

What kind of impact will this have on selling to those not located in the UK? I don't sell in the UK but do on occasion purchase items. We have no VAT tax here so will there be a tax of some sort sold on items exported?

robutacion

What kind of impact will this have on selling to those not located in the UK? I don't sell in the UK but do on occasion purchase items. We have no VAT tax here so will there be a tax of some sort sold on items exported?
I'm not the right person to answer your question as I don't know the answer, however, I do also purchase a bunch of items from the UK and I would expect to be asked to pay some extra taxes next time I make an order so, the way I see it UK will introduce some new tax to increase revenue regardless if is coming in or going out, what impact that will make in the future, I don't really know.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom