Selling my lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Since I injured my knee, I've lost interest in making pens. I'm not sure if it's related to the injury or what altered my enthusiasm, but I've been helping my brother with some of his projects and learning a few things.

I've been working with Corian and it's amazing what it can be transformed into. After it's been cut, it can be heated and formed into different shapes and it cuts so nicely. It leaves an almost perfect cut and very little sanding is required. It shines beautifully if the time is invested in the process and all of the colors are great.
My brother estimates he has over 25,000 square feet of Corian in just about any color you could imagine. He keeps a watch for auctions and businesses that are downsizing or closing shop. It's impossible to see the color with the sheets stacked flat, but they are stamped with the name on the edge and he has several color charts, so he just looks up the name and number to see the color. Or he looks in his charts for a color he wants to use and then goes to the rack with that color if he has it. They are alphabetically organized on the racks.

I have a few pen kits that I would like to finish up before I sell my lathe, but if they don't get finished before it sells, I'll just throw them in with the lathe.

Keep the ink to the paper...:wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I Wouldn't classify him as a hoarder. He builds cabinets and counters along with tables and signs and...

He uses the Corian for a lot of his work and he just looks for places to get it less costly than buying from a dealer. The last place he got some from was closing due to the owner retiring and he got approximately 2000 square feet of several colors for about $.25 a square foot. That's a close guess based on the approximate square feet. He also sells the less desirable colors to other cabinet builders and woodworkers.

25,000 square feet might sound like a lot, but there are only 10 racks with 5 shelves each and they aren't full. Some of the colors he has have been discontinued and are really nice.

He has probably 3 times the amount of wood than he does Corian. He gets sheet goods from a local manufacturer from over runs and canceled orders at a really good price. Nice furniture grade (13 ply I think he said) plywoods in hardwoods.

Terredax

Banned
Well, I just finished helping load my lathe into the new owners truck.
That thing sold much quicker than I expected. I guess I'm no longer a pen maker... of coarse, I only made one complete pen and a half finished pen.:redface:

I kept the few kits I have and some of the blanks I've made, just in case I decide to make a pen some day. Now, I'll be selling off some other unneeded items that are just taking up space that I haven't used in a while, in preparation of moving to a small house without any shop space.

My ambition and focus have shifted dramatically and I wont have time or money to have or maintain a shop. The money I get from selling everything is going toward my debt that has built up over the past six months.

I appreciate the time I was able to spend here and the information I gained from some of you. I'm sorry I had nothing of value to offer in return. Although I will probably never make another pen, I might stumble in to see what new pens are shown occasionally.

I wish you well and continued pen making success.

Top Bottom