Segmenting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I haven't turned any pens for over a couple years now. I tried a little segmenting when I was turning pens but nothing as intricate or elaborate as a lot of pens I've been seeing on the forum lately. So I'm just curious, do most of you segmenters use lasers now or are there still a lot of you hand cutting up pieces of wood? It just amazes me to see such awesome designs. They are all very nice to look at!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

No laser from me and never will be. The skill is in tools where you control and not an AI machine where you push a button. With that said a laser can do so many more intricate designs that a man can not because of the round portion of a tube. There are ways to overcome some things . Even metal lathes can only do so much. There just happens to be 2 new members here that are using lasers and you are probably seeing their work.

Alan Morrison

Bobby, I don't know that there are that many people using lasers.....though there is a lot more engraving happening.
I see that a laser pen won the segmenting competition so that is a first. Maybe we will see a lot more laser pens as the equipment is coming down in price and there seems to be a lot more can be done with it.
I would not mind playing around with a laser myself, but for wall art type things, not for pens.
I prefer the challenge of trying to get a design from my head into a piece of wood using my own hands.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've loved the challenge of cutting and gluing up wood and working on the symmetry, placement and visual appeal. I also typically only used 'plastics' for spacers (end caps) as I prefer wood.

However, I greatly admire what is coming out with lasers and 3D printers. Technology will always move forward; we can appreciate it while still choosing whatever methods we have a preference for.

HSS --- Carbide
Changing lathe speeds with a belt --- VS.
Stabilizing blanks
Casting resins
dust collection
etc...

Many aspects of woodturning/penturning has evolved for a nicer experience

egnald

So far I use my Bandsaw with a 60-30 and a 90 degree jig (glorified miter gauge), but my segmenting is very simple compared with a lot of the experienced members here on IAP. Whenever I've attempted something a little more complex, I've been disappointed - mostly because of my lack of precision when it comes to getting such close fit parts to line up right. I suppose I would have better luck if I would take the time to make a more precision sled and use my table saw. But for now, I'll just settle for my simple diagonal segmenting. - Dave

bsshog40

Ya, I think the technology is great! Nothing beats good old hand crafting though. I say that as I just ripped a board on my tablesaw instead of using a handsaw. Lol

jttheclockman

Ya, I think the technology is great! Nothing beats good old hand crafting though. I say that as I just ripped a board on my tablesaw instead of using a handsaw. Lol
You can not look at it as negative to use power tools. When it is said as hand made it just means your hands was in control of the cutting and fitting. With lasers your end of it to be able to program the machine and yes that takes talent and skill also but you just can not put the 2 together as well as using these 3d printed molds. Different tools yes but also different categories. You can not group a 3D printed blank with a laser blank because that is not fair either. I think in future Bash contests this idea and thought process needs to be stressed and split more so. Maybe by the time we do this again we will have more people using those other methods as well and separate contests will be formed.

I know something about dealing with laser from my other hobby for over 35 years which is scroll sawing and doing fret work. We in that field have come up against the laser questions and accusations over those times and still today. I have been accused of using a laser many times when people looked at my scrollsaw work. I use to carry around a project that was laser cut and show people how they differ and the big thing is they can not make the sharp 90 degree turns and also all the edges are burned. You do not have that when using a scrollsaw.

So my thoughts to you pursue segmenting and use the method you choose is best for you. Just be honest when presenting it or selling your work.

bsshog40

You can not look at it as negative to use power tools. When it is said as hand made it just means your hands was in control of the cutting and fitting. With lasers your end of it to be able to program the machine and yes that takes talent and skill also but you just can not put the 2 together as well as using these 3d printed molds. Different tools yes but also different categories. You can not group a 3D printed blank with a laser blank because that is not fair either. I think in future Bash contests this idea and thought process needs to be stressed and split more so. Maybe by the time we do this again we will have more people using those other methods as well and separate contests will be formed.

I know something about dealing with laser from my other hobby for over 35 years which is scroll sawing and doing fret work. We in that field have come up against the laser questions and accusations over those times and still today. I have been accused of using a laser many times when people looked at my scrollsaw work. I use to carry around a project that was laser cut and show people how they differ and the big thing is they can not make the sharp 90 degree turns and also all the edges are burned. You do not have that when using a scrollsaw.

So my thoughts to you pursue segmenting and use the method you choose is best for you. Just be honest when presenting it or selling your work.
I hear ya John. My sister has a cricut and a laser. She lasers a lot of wooden stuff. Looks pretty good too!

Top Bottom