Segmenting with metal question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marnat3

I have done the search thing and found all the instructions on how to but my question is do you always need to match the saw kerf with the material you are adding or am I missing something?
What is the reason for this? Maybe a newbie question, but trying to understand. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
If you're close, like within a few thousandths it will work. The idea is not to remove more material than you have to replace it with. Otherwise your parts may not have a good fit when it's gluing time. Hope that makes sense.

Marnat3

Ok, so as long as you (I) still have the length required for your (my) chosen pen and you (I) have everything lined up right, you (I) should be good?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
What happens when your material doesnt match the saw kerf is that when you do multiple segments the grain or pattern gets farther and farther out of sinc. If your doing multiple segments that cut through previous metal segments they wont line up with each other. I will see if I can find some examples

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
What happens when your material doesnt match the saw kerf is that when you do multiple segments the grain or pattern gets farther and farther out of sinc. If your doing multiple segments that cut through previous metal segments they wont line up with each other. I will see if I can find some examples
That's exactly what I meant to say :biggrin:

Seriously, I was thinking of the sheet metal segmenting. My blade on my bandsaw is .010 thick, and the metal I used was .014 It worked for me.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Here is a picture of exactly what happens, notice the metal in the scallops.
il_570xN.465856683_2uge.jpg

Marnat3

Yes , I see what you mean. Thanks to both of you Dalecamino and Mredburn.
I am seeing a band saw or scroll saw in my immediate future.
Right now I am using a compound miter saw. Pretty thick kerf on it

Those scallops were made on a bandsaw. I don't know how you can get them any finer than that with this method? I have tried that is for sure. When you make a cut through the aluminum the kerf of the saw cannot be replaced. So when you put the pieces back together you are missing the aluminum that you cut out. There is no way to replace that part.

plantman

Yes , I see what you mean. Thanks to both of you Dalecamino and Mredburn.
I am seeing a band saw or scroll saw in my immediate future.
Right now I am using a compound miter saw. Pretty thick kerf on it[/QUOTE

Funny, I see both in your future!!! I find that a full size miter saw has to much power for the job you are tring to do, plus ,unless you have some very sturdy jigs that you are using, I don't like my fingers that close to the large blade. You need to make to many cuts with it and can't afford to loose track of what you are doing, surprized, or be distracted Jim S

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It cant be done without matching the exact width of the aluminum to the exact width of the blade kerf, anything else and they start to move apart. If your aluminum was thicker than the blade width it would move the other way. THe closest way would to be to use a scroll saw with the aluminum as thick as the kerf of the blade.

Krash

I am hot on the trail of a procedure to rectify this offset. I have it all planned out and the math done, just need to do a trial run to verify.

Stay tuned. I will probably post it in the Segmenting forum.

Top Bottom