Segmenting with aluminum coke can

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brumar72

I tried to use the aluminum from a coke can to get a very thin line of separation between walnut, ebony and bois de rose on a Sierra pen.
Hope you like.

Attachments

• IMG_20210317_122658.jpg
    IMG_20210317_122658.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20210317_122738.jpg
    IMG_20210317_122738.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20210317_122941.jpg
    IMG_20210317_122941.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20210317_122906.jpg
    IMG_20210317_122906.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That came out great. Job well done. If I may caution you on the use of beer can, coke cans or any other cans that have printing on them. They also have a lacquer on the inside of the can to prevent corrosion so this needs to be thoroughly sanded off as well as the printing or it too will show and mess up the look you are going for. Can also effect the adhesion of the glue. If I also may make a suggestion and use plain simple roof flashing which you can pick up in Home Depot or other stores. Still need to sand the facings but less hassle. There is also many other sources for metals in the article materials used for segmenting. I believe it is now in the library. Good luck as you progress down the segmenting path. Again nice work.

Wmcullen

This looks fantastic. I'll need to remember how well aluminum works next to the ebony. And it highlights your other woods perfectly. Aside from the wood selection, I'm also a fan of the lines you've incorporated. Thanks for sharing... it's quite inspiring.

Brumar72

That came out great. Job well done. If I may caution you on the use of beer can, coke cans or any other cans that have printing on them. They also have a lacquer on the inside of the can to prevent corrosion so this needs to be thoroughly sanded off as well as the printing or it too will show and mess up the look you are going for. Can also effect the adhesion of the glue. If I also may make a suggestion and use plain simple roof flashing which you can pick up in Home Depot or other stores. Still need to sand the facings but less hassle. There is also many other sources for metals in the article materials used for segmenting. I believe it is now in the library. Good luck as you progress down the segmenting path. Again nice work.

Hi John, thanks for your hints. Actually, after sanding the printed side, when I did sand the back to improve adhesion I found out myself that a thin layer of lacquer was present. So I carefully removed it before epoxy glue.
Unfortunately here in Italy the hardware and diy stores are not so good as in the US. Years ago I've been on the west coast and I was impressed by the quality and quantity of hardware and tools available in the stores!

Top Bottom