Segmenting Materials...where do I start

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

encoreguy260

All,

I have used G10 on some knife scales and it worked very well. Have seen vulcanized cardboard (?) but wonder what is there are others. I know that G10 requires some additional precautions realting to breathing. What kind if metals does anyone use and where do you get it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and information.

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Jeff and welcome to the site. First and foremost welcome to the world of segmenting. Not sure if you are talking about using materials in knife making or pens or maybe both. But it does not matter too much in that most materials are interchangeable and can be used to make most anything. I will refer you to the the forum "Blank Making" and click on the sub forum "segmenting". I do this because there is a world of information and surly answers to your questions within there that we will not touch on all of them because it is impossible. You will find this helpful I guarantee it.

With that said I will get the ball rolling and others can add to this thread as they see fit. For me there are so many materials that can be used for segmenting and just casting in general. But being you were specific with segmenting lets stay there.

Metals of all kinds-- aluminum, brass, stainless steel, bronze, and a few others.

Plastics--- credit cards, guitar picks and guitar guard or pickguard material as it is called, acrylic plastic sheets, can lids, wrapping paper, corian

Paper--- stock of various thickness, box material, cardboard

Materials--- blue jeans, scarfs and many others

Wood--- veneers of all thickness and dyed or colored, woods of various species cut and planed to thickness

Here are some places I get all these materials
Home Depot, Lowes
Lumber yards
web sites so many
https://www.speedymetals.com/s-137-sheet.aspx

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/Pool%20Cue%20Veneer,%20Dyed%20Veneer,%20Colored%20Veneer,%20Marquetry%20Veneer.html

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/Hardwood%20Dowels%20-%20Woodworkers%20Source.html

https://www.cwp-usa.com/

https://www.delviesplastics.com/c/acrylic-plexiglass-sheet.html

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/Dyed%20Veneers%20-%20Thick.html

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/PLAIN%20OPAQUE%20BLACK%20STYRENE%20SHEETS%20-%20Evergreen%20Scale%20Models.html

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/Schmelke%20Cues.html

I have so many more but will others add theirs if they choose. To sum this up google is your friend when it comes to finding things. Use your imagination for materials. Use the segmenting forum for inspiration. Good luck.

encoreguy260

Hello Jeff and welcome to the site. First and foremost welcome to the world of segmenting. Not sure if you are talking about using materials in knife making or pens or maybe both. But it does not matter too much in that most materials are interchangeable and can be used to make most anything. I will refer you to the the forum "Blank Making" and click on the sub forum "segmenting". I do this because there is a world of information and surly answers to your questions within there that we will not touch on all of them because it is impossible. You will find this helpful I guarantee it.

With that said I will get the ball rolling and others can add to this thread as they see fit. For me there are so many materials that can be used for segmenting and just casting in general. But being you were specific with segmenting lets stay there.

Metals of all kinds-- aluminum, brass, stainless steel, bronze, and a few others.

Plastics--- credit cards, guitar picks and guitar guard or pickguard material as it is called, acrylic plastic sheets, can lids, wrapping paper, corian

Paper--- stock of various thickness, box material, cardboard

Materials--- blue jeans, scarfs and many others

Wood--- veneers of all thickness and dyed or colored, woods of various species cut and planed to thickness

Here are some places I get all these materials
Home Depot, Lowes
Lumber yards
web sites so many
https://www.speedymetals.com/s-137-sheet.aspx

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/Pool%20Cue%20Veneer,%20Dyed%20Veneer,%20Colored%20Veneer,%20Marquetry%20Veneer.html

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/Hardwood%20Dowels%20-%20Woodworkers%20Source.html

https://www.cwp-usa.com/

https://www.delviesplastics.com/c/acrylic-plexiglass-sheet.html

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/Dyed%20Veneers%20-%20Thick.html

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/PLAIN%20OPAQUE%20BLACK%20STYRENE%20SHEETS%20-%20Evergreen%20Scale%20Models.html

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Folder/Schmelke%20Cues.html

I have so many more but will others add theirs if they choose. To sum this up google is your friend when it comes to finding things. Use your imagination for materials. Use the segmenting forum for inspiration. Good luck.

Thanks jttheclockman I checked out your links and did done some searching on Google Thanks again.

Jeff

The sky is pretty much the limit on what you can use. If you're just starting I would avoid metal for now. It can be difficult to glue and can come apart quickly when the blank gets hot from drilling. Use a piece of sandpaper that is on a flat surface to scuff any parts that are going to be glued together and be sure to brush the sawdust off.
I would recommend starting with segments where the pieces go all the way across the blank. Coating the joints with thin CA when the blank is done helped them stay together. When turning stop and see how your blank is doing and if in doubt a bit more CA won't hurt.
Remember, Thick CA glues your fingers together, thin CA glues your fingers to the table.

encoreguy260

The sky is pretty much the limit on what you can use. If you're just starting I would avoid metal for now. It can be difficult to glue and can come apart quickly when the blank gets hot from drilling. Use a piece of sandpaper that is on a flat surface to scuff any parts that are going to be glued together and be sure to brush the sawdust off.
I would recommend starting with segments where the pieces go all the way across the blank. Coating the joints with thin CA when the blank is done helped them stay together. When turning stop and see how your blank is doing and if in doubt a bit more CA won't hurt.
Remember, Thick CA glues your fingers together, thin CA glues your fingers to the table.
Thanks for the gudidance.

Jeff

Top Bottom