Segmenting experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mhallett

mhallett

Tried to do a basic segment on this pen. Holly with mesquite. Please give me some feedback.

Mike Hallett

Attachments

• 20240410_205907.jpg
    20240410_205907.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20240410_205913.jpg
    20240410_205913.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 106
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

It's not easy to avoid sanding dust from dark wood getting into the lighter wood. I like how it gives your pen a weathered look. Maybe you meant to do that. 🙂

If you make another like it, consider using an antique silver plating to enhance that effect.

mhallett

It's not easy to avoid sanding dust from dark wood getting into the lighter wood. I like how it gives your pen a weathered look. Maybe you meant to do that. 🙂

If you make another like it, consider using an antique silver plating to enhance that effect.
Like a pewter? That is a really good idea.

KenB259

Normally, that bleed over would be something I'd try to avoid, but with that brick pattern, it somehow works. If you want to avoid it though, the best way in's to avoid sanding and avoid wiping with a solvent. You can get a finish ready surface with just lathe tools, takes practice is all.

egnald

That's pretty cool - but in my book it's more than basic. I do basic segmenting - one or two simple diagonal cuts and that's it. I've tried more intricate patterns and they have always turned out just so-so. The next time I need to build a segmenting sled for my table saw, but it is just not as convenient as my bandsaw is. Unfortunately my bandsaw doesn't seem to be as precise as the table saw.

It's looking good though - keep going! - Dave

jttheclockman

As mentioned above if you want to avoid bleedover then stay away from sandpaper and just use a good sharp skew for you final passes. As far as pattern goes it is a random pattern and I am guessing that was what you were after so that part is fine. Looking at your cuts, I would suggest you make a sled of some sort with stops and zero clearance blade slot. This will give you no splintering on your woods. Always work with square stock when cutting segments like that so that your cuts are even all around. The square material is very important. When making a sled make sure that both sides of the material is supported when cutting so you avoid splintering. All in all you did a good job on your first and I am sure there will be many more to come and you will improve as you go. You will learn little tricks and secrets that will help. Good luck.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Without hesitation, I agree with each comment made previously. Especially, that the grain 'bleed out' looks very nice and very intentional - and that is very hard to do. It looks like some antler turnings.

However, to me the most important aspect of your segmenting 'experiment' is that you DID IT! Every segmenting blank you attempt (successful or less so) will be an opportunity to learn, refine and improve. This "experiment" in my opinion was vastly successful.

Re-read the comments above - they are excellent.

Be well

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That's pretty cool - but in my book it's more than basic. I do basic segmenting - one or two simple diagonal cuts and that's it. I've tried more intricate patterns and they have always turned out just so-so. The next time I need to build a segmenting sled for my table saw, but it is just not as convenient as my bandsaw is. Unfortunately my bandsaw doesn't seem to be as precise as the table saw.

It's looking good though - keep going! - Dave
Sometimes simple is better... Your segmenting pens are superb!

leehljp

Member Liaison
99% of the time, sanding dust does not look good. But in this case, I like it, and to me it enhances the look as though it were real bricks.

AS mentioned by Ken and Jon, the way to eliminate sanding dust smearing is to NOT use sandpaper or other wipes. Use a very sharp tool with light touches to clean it off. What many people are not aware of is that a properly sharpened tool can leave a very smooth surface (600-800 SP grit and up - smooth) and it does not smear like sandpaper.

sorcerertd

I agree with all of the above, too. I clicked on the pics before reading your post, then had to read to see if that was antler you used. The bleed over indeed does look good on this one.

Top Bottom