Segmenting clamp

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I have been looking at this section and have decided to try my hand at segmenting pen blanks. There were several ideas on gluing and clamping pieces cut at an angle. One remarked that he experienced some slipping of the parts. My grandson and I came up with this idea. I finished it yesterday. It is made of 1X4 pine and measures 9 inches long, base 2-3/4 wide plus 3/4 for the upright piece, 2 ea. 1/4-20 full thread carriage bolts, washers, wing nuts. If I had to do it over, I would make the moveable part the same height of the other side and drill the holes a bit higher for the wing nuts. The odd part is to put finger pressure on the top to align the parts. One wing nut turns OK but you have to hold the end of the bolt up a bit. Got lots of pine so I might make another one later.
Photos attached,feel free to copy, modify or whatever. Had to resize the photos to download.

Attachments

• IMG_3676.JPG
    IMG_3676.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_3678.JPG
    IMG_3678.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_3683.JPG
    IMG_3683.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_3686.JPG
    IMG_3686.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Nice jig.
If you reverse the carriage bolts and put the wing nuts on the outboard side, you will gain more finger space. Also, epoxy the carriage bolts in place.

Top Bottom