Segmented vessel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

7x8 Maple
D44EE8AD-8ED4-4841-B3B7-918979F3EF0B.jpeg
, Cherry with Walnut top and base. 650 pieces

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

I love the open holes. Well done, it's gorgeous. I'm guessing you had something cut up as a spacers to keep the openings regular?
Segment is done with indexing and cutting segments to build rings. There are two types, open segmenting and closed. Check. You tube out and you will see lots of posting on segmenting.
My vessel is open segmented 24 pieces per row at 5.5 degrees with 4 degree spacing .

Whoa! Nice work! The first thing that hits you is the open segmenting (of course). Very well done. The craft side is super. The spacings seem dead on and the turning is well done - nice, even, smooth curve and no tool marks. But let's not forget the "art" side - the basic design. It, too, looks great. The form of the vase is spot on and the spiraling of the different woods adds contrast and interest, Totally impressive.
(also bravery - 24 segments is a LOT!)

RichAldrich

Segment is done with indexing and cutting segments to build rings. There are two types, open segmenting and closed. Check. You tube out and you will see lots of posting on segmenting.
My vessel is open segmented 24 pieces per row at 5.5 degrees with 4 degree spacing .
Have you tried any other degrees of spacing? My experience the bigger the number of degrees of spacing the rougher it was to turn. In open segmenting it is difficult to compensate with speed. Anything over 600-700 would risk a failure. I have been using 1.5-2 degrees mainly on 48 open segments per row. The 4 degrees looks AWESOME with the 24 seg row. Great work!!!!!!!

Top Bottom