Segmented Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Thought I would show this segmented pen I made recently. It is a professor kit ( I love those kits) and the blank is maple and walnut. The unique thing about the blank is it is made of 3 parts and all were cut using only my 10" tablesaw. I shown the pieces cut and you can see the jig I basically used to make all cuts. They fit together like a puzzle piece which made it abit challenging. Finished with a CA finish. As always any comments or questions are always welcomed. This was a break from my building kick I am on with watch part pen blanks. Have a few other oddball pens I will show as well. Thanks for looking.

IMGP0035.JPG
IMGP0364.JPG segmented pen.JPG
IMGP0361.JPG
IMGP0365.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Just wanted to acknowledge and thank all those that viewed this pen and left a like or other approval rating. It gives me joy to know that there are still some that still like seeing some of my work. I have been saying for quite some time that this past winter I have been working on quite afew pens of different medium and styles. Some themed and some just cast and some segmented and a few using some high grade acrylic blanks and I will be showing over the course of the rest of the year most of these. Hopefully I can photograph them to the extent they do them justice because the time and effort that goes into making some of the blanks just does not register many times. Those that make their own blanks can appreciate that comment and know what I am saying. This is an example in the fact with all the edges and intertwining of pieces to get them to fit with no gaps was not all that easy especially just cutting with a 10" tablesaw blade. Have to admit I made a mistake on my first blank and the drawing I made did not include the center matching on the maple. Had a big open hole. :) Said to myself, self, that can not be right. But the second time around I worked out the problem and just took my time making the cuts. Having some sort of jig or sled sure does help make repeatable cuts. Anyway, thanks again and keep an eye for more work from my shop.

leehljp

Member Liaison
John, I did a rare thing and looked straight at the wood and then the pen and clicked LIKE before seeing it was you. The way it was presented with the picts, It instantly drew me in to the photos! That is fascinating! Then I saw it was you - my mind went -OH No wonder it was so intriguing - John made it !!!! Your imagination and the skill to bring it to fruition is absolutely wonderful!

The parts and joints made me instantly think of the joints in a Sam Maloof chair - where the leg meets and joins with the seat!

Thanks for posting it!

jttheclockman

John, I did a rare thing and looked straight at the wood and then the pen and clicked LIKE before seeing it was you. The way it was presented with the picts, It instantly drew me in to the photos! That is fascinating! Then I saw it was you - my mind went -OH No wonder it was so intriguing - John made it !!!! Your imagination and the skill to bring it to fruition is absolutely wonderful!

The parts and joints made me instantly think of the joints in a Sam Maloof chair - where the leg meets and joins with the seat!

Thanks for posting it!
Thanks Hank. What I am sorry I did not do was snap a photo of the blank glued up in it's raw state. Many times a blank looks so much different in a square state as opposed to when it is turned round. My problem is when I get into making a blank I just forget about the photo thing. I admire those that can photograph all their moves and cuts as they are building a blank. Just never could do that. I am working on a segmented blank that I need to take more beginning photos on now. It might be too boring though. But as they say only one first time. Will see. I am actually interested in seeing how this one comes out because the more things get turned down the more the design goes away. It is such a small canvas that we play with. :)

Ironwood

That's some impressive work there John. Thanks for showing the pen, as well as the parts used to make the blank.

If I saw that pen, I would have thought it was made by drilling stepped holes in the end of the darker wood and turning a corresponding stepped piece in the lighter wood, and glueing them together. I think that could work, but the parts would have to be precisely perfect with the length of the steps. Your way is better, because you can see that you have no gaps, before you glue it up and turn it.

Top Bottom