Segmented Pen Jigs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BlakeG1145

So I've been making some simple segmented pens with the cut offs of my blanks and I've recently gotten a miter saw. I wanted to start cutting angles in the cutoffs and glue multiple of these angled cutoffs together. One problem: As you might imagine the cutoffs are so small that I either have to put my hand really close to the blade or I risk cutoffs flying around the shop. Does anyone have a good idea for a jig that might solve his problem. Let me know. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

With a miter saw you may need to build an auxiliary fence out of wood to cross between the saws fences (at least on mine, huge gap) the hold the pieces in place with a clamp. The even smaller pieces are better off shapes on a sander.

dogcatcher

I use my miter saw for larger segments as in duck call blank size, but pen blanks are too small for me. But I know some people that do use a compound miter saw for pen segment work. For ideas, I suggest searching YouTube for "Segmenting jigs for compound miter saws". Get ready to waste a lot of time for the little bit of information you will get out of that.

Most segment work needs re-sawed material, that is best done on a table saw or bandsaw. You will also need a planer or thickness sander, your want list will also include a good disc sander.

I believe Malcolm Tibbetts uses a miter saw for most of his segment work, but again he does larger stuff. I would do a search to see if there are pics on the internet of his jigs.

I sold off a piece of equipment years ago I wish I could have back... It's very expensive but the Bridge City jointmaker pro would be ideal for these kinds of cuts. Wish I had that one back.

Make a jig

So I've been making some simple segmented pens with the cut offs of my blanks and I've recently gotten a miter saw. I wanted to start cutting angles in the cutoffs and glue multiple of these angled cutoffs together. One problem: As you might imagine the cutoffs are so small that I either have to put my hand really close to the blade or I risk cutoffs flying around the shop. Does anyone have a good idea for a jig that might solve his problem. Let me know. Thanks!

I glued a piece of plywood To the saws Table top with 2 sided carpet tap . then I took a 1x1 wood about 8" long and glued a 1x1 riser on the a end of it and cut it on an angle and glued a pic. of sandpaper to it. You can use that. to keep all your fingers. When you get profisnt with it you can even hold a peice length ways with it.

I glued a piece of plywood To the saws Table top with 2 sided carpet tap . then I took a 1x1 wood about 8" long and glued a 1x1 riser on the a end of it and cut it on an angle and glued a pic. of sandpaper to it. You can use that. to keep all your fingers. When you get profisnt with it you can even hold a peice length ways with it.
ps; your riser shoud be a little higher than the peace your cutting

Top Bottom