Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Pen 10

Votes: 20 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We had 10 Segmented Pen entries this year and there are some great pens to have to choose from. Your job is to pick the top 3

Pen 1
Title of Your Entry:
Floral Scallops
Description: A design that takes inspiration from some roses that I gave my wife. Each band of four scallops flows around the pen in a continuous direction.
Blue dyed maple burl and white marble celluloid with brass sheet on a Wall Street II pencil kit.
pen 1a.jpg pen 1b.jpg pen 1c.jpg

Pen 2
Title of Your Entry:
Stripes & Diamonds
Description: A pen segmented with 5 types of wood (Thuya Burl, Ebony , Holly, Chechen and I believe Patagonia and 4 aluminum and 1 brass (center piece) on a knurl GT Twist kit in Chrome. It was finished with CA.
pen 2a.jpeg pen 2b.jpeg pen 2c.jpeg

Pen 3
Title of Your Entry:
Pieces of Eight
Description: The blank consists of 12 eight segment rings plus end pieces. Each ring contains 2 segments each of Rosewood, Cherry, Padauk, and Pacific Yew in that order. The end pieces are Walnut and Rosewood. After turning, the blank was sanded to 400 grit, followed by coarse and fine Yorkshire grit. The finish is Shellawax with a coat of hard wax on top. The kit is the PSI Rollester rollerball in Gun Metal.
pen 3a.jpg pen 3b.jpg pen 3c.jpg

Pen 4
Title of Your Entry:
HI HO Silver and Black
Description: Chrome and Gun Metal full size Majestic. Cap features my black acrylic casting with aluminum accent rings with a silver thread wrapping cast in clear resin. Body of pen is also my black acrylic casting with aluminum dots and bars all around. It was turned and polished to a high shine and makes a stunning segmented pen.
pen 4a.jpg pen 4b.jpg pen 4c.jpg

Pen 5
Title of Your Entry:
Segments
Description: This pen blank was segmented with Jotaba, Bocote and pop cans. Lacquer was used for the finish. The pen kit is a Gear Shift in Antique Pewter.
pen 5a.jpeg pen 5b.jpeg pen 5c.jpeg

Pen 6
Title of Your Entry:
3D Ribbon
Description: Aquilo kit dressed with Mahogany and maple ribbon and Oak ends.
pen 6a.JPG pen 6b.JPG

Pen 7
Title of Your Entry:
Pen inspired in a pool cue
Description: This pen is a combination of the usage of traditional power tools and a laser cutter.
pen 7a.jpeg pen 7b.jpeg pen 7c.jpeg

Pen 8
Title of Your Entry:
Celtic Knot with 12 strands of Aluminum
Description: I handcrafted this item using Red Heart wood and repurposed aluminum siding. CA glue served for both assembly and finishing. The kit is a Chrome GT2 from Woodturningz. I find joy in crafting these pieces because they consistently present a challenge. There's a considerable risk of them coming apart, requiring cautious handling throughout the process.
pen 8a.jpg

Pen 9
Title of Your Entry:
scallops
Description: Navigator dressed in bloodwood with marble wood and maple scallops
pen 9a.jpeg Pen 9b.jpeg pen 9c.jpeg

Pen 10
Title of Your Entry:
A Study in Contrasts
Description: This is a Caballero wrapped in segmented Padauk and Maple. I chose to finish it in a friction finish to maintain some of the feel of the original wood. The contrast between the dark upper barrel and the clean lines of the bottom barrel I believe make this pen particularly attractive. Th upper barrel has 70 segments while the lower barrel has 38.
pen 10a.jpg pen 10b.jpg pen 10c.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

Can the images be made clickable to enlarge instead of clickable to slideshow, same size?

Based on the length of the tutorial, I'm sure this is all a real PIA for any images.

SteveJ

Mike

You probably can't change the photos in the poll, but you could enter them in additional posts. I had to do that with the first two FOG polls I ran.

You need to download the images to your computer and then upload them back into the site. It looks as though you copied the pictures from the form directly into the poll (at least that is what I did!).

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I actually right clicked on the pictures and saved them to my desk top. They reloaded them to the Polls. I can so it again below the original thread.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Some of the pictures are very small to start with. We will have to do with what we have so far.

jttheclockman

Some of the pictures are very small to start with. We will have to do with what we have so far.
Why can't you delete the entire thread and start all over. This time just use the large photos and not the thumbnails. You have the ability to delete threads I would think. Or have Jeff do it.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Im working at trying to find out why they wont enlarge. Some of the photos are that small from the entries. My desktop at home is not behaving and I have to do it at work. Ill be back on it today.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Gentlemen , the pictures should be fixed and the date has been extended to vote on.
thank you for your patience.

jttheclockman

Gentlemen , the pictures should be fixed and the date has been extended to vote on.
thank you for your patience.
Thank you Mike.

Have to say this contest is the toughest of all to make a choice. We needed bigger photos for this one and not sure that is going to help. No losers here.

d_bondi

Mike, thank you for sticking with it and getting the pictures so that we can click and enlarge them. I know it was a pain.

Now that I can see them all clearly, holy smokes.... what a great looking and amazingly put together pens. I have no idea how I'll narrow it down to only three favorites. Compliments to all the participants!

woodwzrd

Wow that was a tough one to vote on. The patience level of all the creators is far above what I have. Excellent job by all.

Top Bottom