Segmented Pen Contest Draft Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I pulled the short straw, so I will be handling the Segmented Pen Contest in the 2019 BASH. This activity is a first for me, but I will do my best.

These are the rules, subject to modification if a persuasive case can be made; and all suggestions will be considered. Ask any questions for clarification of this draft.

Segmented Pen Contest Rules

(Draft)

This contest focuses on the skills, precision and ingenuity of constructing a segmented blank(s), in a finished pen. It is for hand segmenting only, with readily available hand and power tools. Materials produced from 3'd printed forms filled with resins, CNC and laser equipment will not be allowed in this contest.

In addition to the Universal BASH Guidelines, the contest rules are as follows:

1. You must make the blank(s) yourself.
2. A readily available, non-modified stock kit must be used.
3. No modifications are to be made to the kit, and all components of the kit must be used. The focus of
the contest is on the blank(s), not kit modifications.
4. Any kit is allowed - Single or double tube; Ballpoint, Rollerball or Fountain Pen.
5. Any material or combination of materials is allowed (i.e., all wood, all acrylic, wood/acrylic,
wood/metal/acrylic, etc)
6. A finished pen must be entered, not simply the blank.
7. Casting will be allowed in whole or a portion of the blank(s) for the final pen.
8. Imbedded materials will be allowed in any cast material, although the embedded materials will not
qualify for the segmented portion, unless the embedded materials are in fact segmented.
9. Materials/design components produced from 3'd printed forms filled with resin will not be allowed;
although a 3'd printed "mold" for a complete tube-in or rectangular cast is permissible.
10. For purposes of this contest, "Segmented" will be defined simply as: The Blank(s) need to have
been constructed of more than one single piece.

Entries:
1. There will be an email address provided to send entries to.
2. A maximum of two pictures will be posted along with your brief description of your work. Judging will
be done by the pictures you provide.
3. Contest will start Feb 1st and entries will be accepted through noon - Monday Feb. 18th, 12:00 PM EST.
4. One entry per person.

Email Entries to ( )

Judging:
1. Winners will be decided by popular vote.
2. Pens will be judged by the finished pen and blank.
3. If there are 10 entries or less, there will be one poll, which will be open for 72 hours.
4. If there are 10+ entries there will be a preliminary poll and the top five entries will advance to a final
poll that will also be open for 72 hours.
5. Tied votes for any entries to advance/win may result in additional run-off polls, or additional entries
to advance to the final poll.

And yup - All this is subject to modification if a tsunami of feedback warrants.

First Prize
Second Prize
Third Prize

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Of all people I would have thought you would be entering in this contest. You do realize people will be judging the pen on the overall look and not the segmenting alone. It is human nature. :):)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mark, I probably won't be able to enter anyway. But I'd love to give that JT fellow a run for his money:biggrin:. But like him, I'm surprised that this isn't one you would have entered.
I hear you about kit mods and its all about the blank, but how about allowing the finial being omitted? A closed ended pen really allows for even more creativity and space to show off the work? :wink:

You could also make a cool pen and give it to me and I'd say it was me that made it.....we'd split the prize money and nobody will know....:tongue:

jttheclockman

Mark, I probably won't be able to enter anyway. But I'd love to give that JT fellow a run for his money:biggrin:. But like him, I'm surprised that this isn't one you would have entered.
I hear you about kit mods and its all about the blank, but how about allowing the finial being omitted? A closed ended pen really allows for even more creativity and space to show off the work? :wink:

You could also make a cool pen and give it to me and I'd say it was me that made it.....we'd split the prize money and nobody will know....:tongue:

Wait a second here buddy:mad::mad::mad: You said you would cut me in and won't have to enter. Whats up with that???:)

By they way if I do enter it will not be anything elaborate. Do not have the time.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

On behalf of IAP/BASH, it would be awesome if you BOTH entered. :good:

As for me, duty calls and I'm just trying to being helpful. I have a great deal of respect for those that have a competitive spirit; it's never run very deep with me. But, I'll try to marshall this contest as best as I can.

And I have reviewed your Gallery enough times to say with confidence that nothing I can do would compare to your past efforts.

Finials, hmnnn... I'm thinking...

Last edited:

jttheclockman

By they way if I do enter it will not be anything elaborate. Do not have the time.

yeah yeah.......... I believe you.......... :tongue::wink::rolleyes:

No it is true. I have 2 more shows this month and with the holidays. I will be entering various contests hopefully so will spread the time out some. I really need to get back into making pens again. Has been awhile for sure. These contests will hopefully put some juice in the batteries again for some pens. Will see. I still owe pens to some friends I promised last year. :):) Health and other issues keep getting in the way.

Skip give it a go. You belong in the kitless contest. love to see you enter that. :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

I thought long and hard on this (then I woke up :wink:).

I can think of as many reasons to keep to the intent that the segmenting is the focus. And I can easily think of as many reasons to encourage the creativity that is possible with kit modifications related to segmenting.

I also really wanted to simply shuffle kit modifications to the Advanced Pen Contest, but alas that contest is not in the lineup this year. And the kitless and Freestyle contests emphasize different creative skills. Might there be overlap, possibly.

Evidently there is little middle ground for you pesky creative types.

So..... OK. Kit modifications will be allowed in the Segmenting Pen Contest. In the final announcement I'll amend the rules to indicate that while a standard kit should be the starting components, kit modifications will be permissible, but not required.

So this should bridge the gap between: No kit mods, kit mods, to kitless.

Not sure how this will play out with unintended consequences, but let's give it a chance. I can see the possibility for entries with precise and attractive simple segmenting but great modifications; and kits with incredible segmenting and no modification at all. Hopefully, a blend of both will also be evident.

If nothing else, lets be creative and if it's not a perfect contest we can re-evaluate and tweak for the future.

(And if I get fired, I'll go back to playing with my sticks).

Last edited:

jttheclockman

That is a good sign that it shows you are flexible. We have to give the voters some credit in that they will overlook the little tweaks here and there and weigh that in the decision and just vote their instincts on overall looks. I am not sure how many people really know what goes into segmenting alone and then add the added tweaks.

These contests are open to all levels of craftsmanship so those that are on the fence for any of these contests jump in and give it a go. You will come out more enriched than if you never entered. Test your skills and expand them. It is all in fun!!!:):):)

Top Bottom