Segmented kitless pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aprayinbear

:cool:

While I'm new to pen making (although I've done turnings for many years), I have an interest in making kitless and some segmented pens.

My question is, do any of you make segmented kitless pens. It seems that much of the physical strength and integrity of segmented pens comes from using a brass tube (as with kit pens) and that most kitless pens do not use tubes. Is this an either/or choice, or is it possible to combine both.

Pictures would be most helpful!

Happy Turning:wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Although I haven't done it (yet) I will someday make a segmented kitless using a tube for reinforcement. Not a thing wrong with it IMO. It will still be a kitless, with threading on the parts.

I made this pen, and was told it wouldn't work, but I did it anyway:tongue: My friend was right. It would have worked if I had used a tube. I think a 10mm tube will work. You'd need enough inside diameter clearance for the converter if it's a fountain pen.

I suggest you jump in and make it happen. And have fun doing it:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 306

dbledsoe

There is no rule that kitless pens cannot have a tube or some other reinforcment. You will need something, since the wall thickness is so thin.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Hi Bruce where did the blank in the top photo come from. It looks stunning

Donovan
Thanks - I made it. I first cast some blanks and then made thin slices on a diamond saw. Glued them together one by one while rotating the pattern on the lighter color. Very time consuming, but I did get the effect I was looking for. Was trying to mimic the Parker Vacumatic.

yorkie

Just when I'm feeling good about my skills, I see these pens and realize I suck. Thanks for giving me something to aim for; can't wait for retirement and enough time to experiment.

Top Bottom