Segmented EDC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John Eldeen

John Eldeen

This is an antique brass EDC. The blank is constructed using blue and black stabilized maple burl from benpen with green cardstock separators. Every layer is the twist reduces in length by .044 inch to increase the speed of rotation without increasing the degree of rotation per layer. Enjoy and as always question, comments and critiques are always welcome.
20200208_133019.jpg
20200208_133019.jpg20200208_132926.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very interesting !!

I like your idea of changing the thickness of the layers (in a very controlled way) together with the idea of also changing the angular extent of the segments in the layer at the same time. . This gives a neat effect !! . There is obviously a lot of work involved in doing this and probably lots of leftover layers.

John Eldeen

Very interesting !!

I like your idea of changing the thickness of the layers (in a very controlled way) together with the idea of also changing the angular extent of the segments in the layer at the same time. . This gives a neat effect !! . There is obviously a lot of work involved in doing this and probably lots of leftover layers.
Thanks Mal
Surprisingly there are no leftover layers lots of pre planing and measuring 4 or 5 times before a cut. I made it way more complicated than it needed to be so that I could keep grain continuity in the blank. That sounded like a good idea but with so many peices and the wood being burl it is not really noticeable.

magpens

Actually, I think I am wrong about the changing angular extent of the segments as the layers get thinner.
Careful examination from bottom to top does not show this (although I previously thought it was a trend).

Top Bottom