Segmented Diamond Knurl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

I haven't made a segmented pen in awhile. I have been thinking though about this design for a bit. I really like how sharp the points are on the yellowheart segments. The other wood is redheart and the black is vulcanized fiber paper. The pen is a Diamond Knurl rollerball from Exotic Blanks. I was starting to forget how much I enjoy making segmented blanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3731.jpeg
    IMG_3731.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3733.jpeg
    IMG_3733.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3732.jpeg
    IMG_3732.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

That's amazing Ken! It has an Art-Deco vibe to it. I like your long scalloped segments - Did you make those cuts on a bandsaw?

I also like the antique brass Diamond Knurl Kit, I just received some of those and hope to try them once my lathe is repaired.

KenB259

That's amazing Ken! It has an Art-Deco vibe to it. I like your long scalloped segments - Did you make those cuts on a bandsaw?

I also like the antique brass Diamond Knurl Kit, I just received some of those and hope to try them once my lathe is repaired.
Yes in my bandsaw. I thought about changing out the knurled ring, but decided it would detract from the design.

sorcerertd

Glad to see you segmenting again. I've always admired your designs, and this one is great.

If I may ask your secrets, did you glue up/laminate the materials and then cut the segments? Also, do you have some formula (or even a way of guestimating) to determine where the scallop pattern will lay based on finished diameter?

KenB259

Glad to see you segmenting again. I've always admired your designs, and this one is great.

If I may ask your secrets, did you glue up/laminate the materials and then cut the segments? Also, do you have some formula (or even a way of guestimating) to determine where the scallop pattern will lay based on finished diameter?
This one I started with two pen blanks, cut and glued back each side separately. This is pretty close to what I imagined, not always the case. I have no secret formula 😐

jttheclockman

Had my surgery on Wed. and am back home and being I am not allowed to exert myself and to take it easy, I come here to see what is new and to hopefully get some inspiration again .Your pen is therapy for me. I never was able to finish all my started pens before I went in so hopefully when I am able to go in shop again and be around dust I can pick up where I left off and get some of those done. I like the design feature. Opens many ideas not only for pens like that but also pool cue pens. Thanks for showing.

jttheclockman

I like the design and contrasting colors which is my schtick.
Adding: John T., trust healing will be quick and complete.
Pool cue pens are exactly why I asked about the design. :D
Hope you are healed up and back in the groove soon, John!
Thank you and I too hope that I can get back in the shop soon. Have to say the older I get the less pain tolerance I have. Had to have the surgery so I will deal with what comes. The Good Lord got me through it and hope he continues to help in my recovery. In the mean time I will rely on pens such as Ken's beauty to satisfy my anxiety.

Penchant 4

I haven't made a segmented pen in awhile. I have been thinking though about this design for a bit. I really like how sharp the points are on the yellowheart segments. The other wood is redheart and the black is vulcanized fiber paper. The pen is a Diamond Knurl rollerball from Exotic Blanks. I was starting to forget how much I enjoy making segmented blanks.
Nice work!

Top Bottom