Segmented bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NGLJ

NGLJ

When not making pens I occasionally make segmented bowls. A generous friend gave me a big piece of pacific yew. Even though it is abundant along the coast where I live it is not usually available for purchase. I have used it on pens, some of which are posted on IAP, and now on a bowl together with walnut and a 3rd wood, which I can't identify (second row from the top). The pacific yew turns and finishes very nicely. I really like the "orange" color, which contrasts well with the walnut. I used a friction polish for the finish.

Attachments

• yewbowl1.png
    yewbowl1.png
    386.9 KB · Views: 57
  • yewbowl2.png
    yewbowl2.png
    729.3 KB · Views: 57
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

When not making pens I occasionally make segmented bowls. A generous friend gave me a big piece of pacific yew. Even though it is abundant along the coast where I live it is not usually available for purchase. I have used it on pens, some of which are posted on IAP, and now on a bowl together with walnut and a 3rd wood, which I can't identify (second row from the top). The pacific yew turns and finishes very nicely. I really like the "orange" color, which contrasts well with the walnut. I used a friction polish for the finish.
That's a beautiful bowl. The segmenting is so well done, the contrast of woods is lovely.

NGLJ

Such a wonderful job.

I keep thinking about doing one of these. Perhaps this summer.
I might do more but compared to making pens it is a lot of work. If I do make more I will probably make shallow bowls/plates, which should be less work. So many things to try, and not enough years left to make a dent in the list!

Top Bottom