Segmented bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodguy95

Woodguy95

Ok so this is my first segmented bowl... Well it's not perfect I kinda screwed up the pattern. You'll see in the pictures. It's approximately 5" tall 10"wide at the oppening and has a 5" base. It's made of paduk and cherry.

Those bowl are hard to do but they are so much fun. As always comments and critics are welcome

Attachments

• IMG_9652.jpg
    IMG_9652.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_9653.jpg
    IMG_9653.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_9654.jpg
    IMG_9654.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_9655.jpg
    IMG_9655.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 333
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Simon that is a great first bowl and adding segmentation to it is really a testament to your dedication to the hobby. I like the over-all shape. Gives it some character as opposed to straight sides. I also like the diamonds in the lip. Nice touch. I love the shape of diamonds and plan to incorporate them more in my segmented pens. The wood choice is good also. Learning from your mistakes is all part of the fun. Nice job and thanks for showing. Have to show more of your work. That is what we are all about here. happy turning.

W.Y.

You did a fine job on that bowl woodguy .
Was it partly done on a Ringmaster or all on a Ringmaster or none on a Ringmaster.
The plug in the bottom is like with most RM turned bowls but not necessarily because I have made many on my RM with no plug .
Either way , you did a fine job .

Woodguy95

You did a fine job on that bowl woodguy .
Was it partly done on a Ringmaster or all on a Ringmaster or none on a Ringmaster.
The plug in the bottom is like with most RM turned bowls but not necessarily because I have made many on my RM with no plug .
Either way , you did a fine job .

First I just want to thank you all for the good comments.
Second, I guess I didn't use a ringmaster because I have no idea of what it is XD.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wish my "Mess ups" looked as good!!! Yes, after you look carefully the pattern is off, but it still is excellent work. The overall shape is excellent as is the turning.

Would you care to share how you cut your segments? (ie, segway) ? I'm up to my elbows in learning segmenting, so any advise is nice.

Beautiful Bowl. :)

Woodguy95

Wish my "Mess ups" looked as good!!! Yes, after you look carefully the pattern is off, but it still is excellent work. The overall shape is excellent as is the turning.

Would you care to share how you cut your segments? (ie, segway) ? I'm up to my elbows in learning segmenting, so any advise is nice.

Beautiful Bowl. :)

I've seen a couple of videos on youtube about a wedgie sled using segeasy wedgies. I've made that sled and used it. It works quite nicely you can search on youtube for wedgie sled or segeasy.

With the canadian dollar gooing down vs the us dollar I didn't want to pay for the angles so I made one for the 12 segments ring using a scrap piece of mdf. I used some basic maths to get the angle right but I was at about 0,1 degree off. So it is not perfect but it's really close.
I hope that helps

preacherman

Looks great!
Before I make my next segmented project I'm going to make one of the segeasy sleds. But for a 12 side ring you can use a standard 30, 60,90 triangle. You can pick up a large one an any office supply store for just a few dollars. You don't have to buy the wedgie.

Top Bottom