Segmented Bowl - Jarrah and other woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Got this one finished today, finally, and a VERY steep learning curve for me. I thought I had this all sorted, but NO!, there are lots of things to learn on the way. If you look closely at the feature ring you will see on the ends of each of the 12 segments, the pieces are smaller than the middle ones. That happens when you have a 3 inch segment in a 11 inch dia. curve. Moral of the story, when constructing a vessel of this size. make sure there are lots of segments in the feature ring. In this case 36 would have been much better.

The timbers used in the feature ring are Yellow Walnut, Padauk, Fake Ebony (made by me), and Maple veneer.

The bowl measures 11" x 5" and is made up of only 1214 pieces. The wall thickness is 1/8th inch.:eek:

It has been sanded to 400 and finished with several coats of WOP.

Thanks for looking and I hope you like it.

C & C Welcome.

Bob.:)

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Bob your work is outstanding as usual. You have come a long way with segmenting things like this. Your feature rings are getting more and more involved as you progress. This is what turning a bowl is all about. That is some beautiful work. Thanks for showing and keep at it. Always love seeing craftsmanship like this.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful artistry Bob! I love the contrasting colors - you did a masterful job.

Perfection... A goal to be sought, but maybe not reached. Getting close would be nice.

Cheers, Mark

robutacion

G'day Bob,

I can appreciate the work and time put in such a piece and as you said, from each piece we make, we learn something from.

Great effort, mate...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Hi George,
I learned a lot more from this than I thought I would. But it was fun and a challenge.

Bob:)

Well, one of the major advantages of that sort of work is that you don't use as much wood as before, your wood stock will last a lot longer the only problem is that most of the woods/blanks you got from me over the year's, are not the ideal type needed for segmentation, boards are more suitable however, nothing will stop you from making/cutting smaller boards from my original blanks and use them for the fine detail part of it, either way, I'm sure you will not run out of wood in a hurry...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom