Segmented blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Angela S

Angela S

I made this segmented fountain pen out of maple, walnut, and purple heart. I am excited that the piece of walnut I had had sapwood that happened to spilt close to the middle. So, the cap has a two tone that matches the body. I have more of the blank and will make another pen, but have run into a bunch of hiccups. So, I wanted to post this one.
CBE9EDA5-19FE-4CB4-A285-C7E501E05B70.jpeg
CBE9EDA5-19FE-4CB4-A285-C7E501E05B70.jpeg

9A0A284D-22BB-4CDF-8F5A-C10D16E4B7BB.jpeg
CC395C6C-FC25-4C16-99A1-3D552A94F95E.jpeg
AA972DCE-8921-4DEB-A272-C4C68C9BDD43.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That is a novel segmentation design ... very creative and unique ... requiring a high degree of precision at every stage !!! . Very well done !!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful! Very attractive; and your alignment is excellent. Nice choice of materials. Many possibilities for errors and I see none.

Thanks for sharing.

John Eldeen

Good looking design and excellent work on the alignment. I only have one question and that is why the small band on only on one end of the lower blank. I personally would have done both end like a frame for the design. That is just my thoughts.

Angela S

Good looking design and excellent work on the alignment. I only have one question and that is why the small band on only on one end of the lower blank. I personally would have done both end like a frame for the design. That is just my thoughts.

The band is only on one end because the Purple Heart chipped out on that end when I was barrel trimming. I debated about putting a band on the other end, but I couldn't decide to match the thickness of the others band or take out an entire Purple Heart section. Since, the band matches the cap I went with no band. If you where to put a band which option would you do?

John Eldeen

The band is only on one end because the Purple Heart chipped out on that end when I was barrel trimming. I debated about putting a band on the other end, but I couldn't decide to match the thickness of the others band or take out an entire Purple Heart section. Since, the band matches the cap I went with no band. If you where to put a band which option would you do?
Your train of thought is sound with that said good job on the design modification. Mishaps will happen it's what you do with them that tells the story. As far as what I would have done is completely subjective for my taste I would have put a matching ring on both end. But that would just be me. The path you took look great as well.

KenB259

Great recovery, but one bit of wisdom to consider. You are tempting fate, if you are using a barrel trimmer on segmented blanks.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom