Seeking feedback on pepper mill kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
My wife is after me to offer an antique style pepper mill at my shows this fall. Looking for any comments, both positive and negative on these kits or this kit as shown on Penn State. If you have made anything similar, I'd like to know about that also.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

I've not turned any pepper mills but one I purchased dispenses pepper from the top. I believe PSI has kits that do also. They aren't as fancy as the antique style but they don't leave piles of ground pepper on the table as you turn them upside down to grind. I'm thinking about making some to sell. Not as fancy but neater and more practical.

I've never turned either, but my friend locally did the first one with the crank... he had pretty good luck with them, but I don't think they hold much pepper corns as the crush grinds I make... I did modify my design to allow for a larger capacity.

sbwertz

I and my blind students have turned probably fifty of the PSA kits over the years. The one I use in my kitchen is seven years old and still works fine. I do not inset the mill into the top of the base, but just screw it on.

I make and sell quite a few salt/pepper grinders. The vintage kit wound up being kind of pricey and didn't sell. Pretty much had to give that one away. I've not done the one handed. Will be interested to get comments. Seems like something that might require more hand strength than the folk at my shows have ;). My best sellers are the grinder sets with ceramic grind mechanisms that I sell in sets. The "adjustable grind" feature is a strong selling point. One thing I've noticed (on the set on our dining room table) is that the ceramic mechanism isn't as durable as steel - but it also isn't corroded by salt. Trade-off. That set lasted 5-6 years of daily use. I just replaced the mechanism. Love it for sweet corn in the summer.
Price point is directly related to venue and perceived value. I do mostly juried "art" shows. I hate competing with hand crocheted toaster covers. Even so, my area (mid-Michigan) doesn't support high-end stuff. Most grinder set sales are in the $30-40 range.

I make and sell quite a few salt/pepper grinders. The vintage kit wound up being kind of pricey and didn't sell. Pretty much had to give that one away. I've not done the one handed. Will be interested to get comments. Seems like something that might require more hand strength than the folk at my shows have ;). My best sellers are the grinder sets with ceramic grind mechanisms that I sell in sets. The "adjustable grind" feature is a strong selling point. One thing I've noticed (on the set on our dining room table) is that the ceramic mechanism isn't as durable as steel - but it also isn't corroded by salt. Trade-off. That set lasted 5-6 years of daily use. I just replaced the mechanism. Love it for sweet corn in the summer.
Price point is directly related to venue and perceived value. I do mostly juried "art" shows. I hate competing with hand crocheted toaster covers. Even so, my area (mid-Michigan) doesn't support high-end stuff. Most grinder set sales are in the $30-40 range.
I don't know where you're getting your grinders... I get mine from a guy in Canada that is direct distributor for the company out of Denmark... with shipping my grinds usually figure out to about $15 to $20 each, depending on the Ca/US conversion rate... plus adding cost of wood and your labor you could have $30-40 cost per mill.... I get about $60 to $90 per individual mill selling in East Tennessee.

I don't know where you're getting your grinders... I get mine from a guy in Canada that is direct distributor for the company out of Denmark... with shipping my grinds usually figure out to about $15 to $20 each, depending on the Ca/US conversion rate... plus adding cost of wood and your labor you could have $30-40 cost per mill.... I get about $60 to $90 per individual mill selling in East Tennessee.
He asked about the grinder from PSI.

Top Bottom