Seeing if there is any interest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

I have too many pen blanks. I am looking to put together some sfrb of mixed blanks. These would probably be best for new turners as they will not include high end blanks. I am thinking $10 a box plus shipping.. Some species might be:
-Western red cedar
-composite materials
-maple
-waltnut

Attachments

• 20201212_184438.jpg
    20201212_184438.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 20201212_184431.jpg
    20201212_184431.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 20201212_184413.jpg
    20201212_184413.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'd love to help, but I don't have any room... Too many blanks also!

But the red cedar looks very nice for anyone who has not turned it!

mmayo

I'll send you some blanks to add to the box for free, I'll pay shipping. Mine might be good for beginners too: Walnut, cherry maple and other woods. Let me know and I'll fill a box and ship it to you.

JohnU

I remember when I started turning and many here made that statement of having more blanks than they would ever turn. I thought as Brandy does.... too many, not possible. I just moved my pen stuff into the new shop. Not sure where all of those blanks came from.
It looked as if you might have some red and green circuit board blanks in one photo in a Prime box on top ?. If so, I know Mal was looking for some.

Aces-High

I remember when I started turning and many here made that statement of having more blanks than they would ever turn. I thought as Brandy does.... too many, not possible. I just moved my pen stuff into the new shop. Not sure where all of those blanks came from.
It looked as if you might have some red and green circuit board blanks in one photo in a Prime box on top ?. If so, I know Mal was looking for some.

I think I offered Mal. Most of them have cracks, that how they came from PSi

JB

Brandy

I'd take a box or two for people who come over to learn how to make a pen. I'd love to get some of the cedar and I'm happy to pay the $10 as well as shipping

Whoever goes through my stuff when I die can worry about the left over pen blanks. Just like I'll have to go through my mom's material (or "quilt stash" as she calls it). She laughs every time I mention how much work she's making for me.

Last edited:

howsitwork

I don't understand "too many pen blanks". Can someone explain?
It's a dangerous condition brought on by discussions with SWMBO.😉
Often , with occupational lathe therapy it goes away over a few months and you then need to replace you blank supply.

Note if it goes away after only a few weeks intensive therapy you really had a milder condition known as "pseudo too many blanks" which is only a temporary delusion 🤪🤪

Sorry Jason but with shipping costs and current restrictions its prob too far for me to help you out but believe me the will is there !

for the record I'd love some of the red cedar as never turned it , and didn't order any blanks when on h9kiday i sUSA 3 years back, SWMBO was surprised enough at the parcels awaiting us at the hotel when we arrived didn't dare go online and order more on the cruise ! 😢😢

Brandy

Often , with occupational lathe therapy it goes away over a few months and you then need to replace you blank supply.

Note if it goes away after only a few weeks intensive therapy you really had a milder condition known as "pseudo too many blanks" which is only a temporary delusion 🤪🤪

Sorry Jason but with shipping costs and current restrictions its prob too far for me to help you out but believe me the will is there !

for the record I'd love some of the red cedar as never turned it , and didn't order any blanks when on h9kiday i sUSA 3 years back, SWMBO was surprised enough at the parcels awaiting us at the hotel when we arrived didn't dare go online and order more on the cruise ! 😢😢
Based on your description I think I have "pseudo too many blanks"

Jarod888

I think it is a great idea, but if your target audience is new turners, please ensure you advise them to wear a mask during all aspects of cedar turning.
It's one of those woods whereby the microscopic fibers look like evil fish hooks. All of those barbs will stick in the lungs and not come out.

Folks tend to wear masks during sanding, but with cedar, you should wear one any time you are working with it.

sbwertz

I have some red cedar that is a deep purple color. If someone would like some, they can have it for the cost of shipping.

Top Bottom