Second Osage Orange but with a simple Chakte Viga segment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska,

Well, after the disappointment from a day or so ago, tonight I turned another one but instead of using the straight blank, I cut in a segment of Chakte Viga. I thought that the darker orange of Chakte Viga would look good with the Osage Orange. It is pressed into a gold Cigar kit.

I don't know that I like it though so I don't know if I will turn the blank's complement (Chakte Viga on the ends with the Osage Orange in the middle). Is it worth the time? What do you think???

Regards,
Dave

One pen, three views as it was rotated.
IMG_1382 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1383 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1384 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Maybe if you use infill between joints it would look much nicer. Maybe a black infill?

Thanks, I think that is a wonderful idea. Can you recommend a material or source? The only thing I have on hand would be some Gaboon Ebony. Do you think a thin slice of that would work? - Dave

Lucky2

Personally,I like them, yes, they could look nicer with something to separate the two colors. I have never done that yet with any pen blanks, but would black electrical tape work. I don't think you need a thick one, so maybe a doubled up piece of the tape, two thicknesses?

Len

Lucky2

Oh yeah, you could make two pencil kits with the colors reversed, to make a nice set of pen and pencil. And with the colors reversed, it would make it easier to recognize. Which was the pencil or pen with just a glance.

Len

Sly Dog

I like it too but if you want to use a divider, there are a lot of sources for dyed wood veneers including Amazon, Rockler and Woodcraft- a black dyed veneer divider would look nice with the orange and with that kit.

Ebony might work and look very nice - it might be worth a try since you have some. If you sand the blank before applying a finish there is the risk of ebony bleeding into the lighter wood. I haven't experienced the same issue using the dyed veneer when sanding. If you use a sharp skew instead of sanding you can avoid that problem altogether.

There are also many other materials folks use as dividers in segmenting including gift cards, guitar picks, aluminum, brass...the list goes on. Nice work!

Joebobber

I think it is a great start. A little strip of thin black wood or plastic would really make it stand out and make it look way better... and I just noticed that is what everyone else is saying... Personally I use .031 knife liner for single colors.

Alchemist

I like it too but if you want to use a divider, there are a lot of sources for dyed wood veneers including Amazon, Rockler and Woodcraft- a black dyed veneer divider would look nice with the orange and with that kit.

Ebony might work and look very nice - it might be worth a try since you have some. If you sand the blank before applying a finish there is the risk of ebony bleeding into the lighter wood. I haven't experienced the same issue using the dyed veneer when sanding. If you use a sharp skew instead of sanding you can avoid that problem altogether.

There are also many other materials folks use as dividers in segmenting including gift cards, guitar picks, aluminum, brass...the list goes on. Nice work!

I have found that using alcohol and tack cloth help remove bleeding and sanding debris. It's tedious but works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom