Second Mistral

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrD

DrD

There was quite a surprise in store for me on my second Mistral. Not with the pen kit, but with the blank. Before I took my hiatus from turning I bought a bunch of African Blackwood blanks from a very reputable seller. I made a couple of Mont Blanc style ballpoints using this wood and was very pleased with the result, even learning along the way that African Blackwood sings to you as it is turned - a very pleasant sound. Fast forward to now. The Mistral is a Ti Gold with Gold accents rollerball and I thought it would look great wrapped in African Blackwood. I took a blank from my African Blackwood stash, cut it drilled it, and all that. As I turned it, I got the surprise - the wood was not black, it was brown with darker brown rays. It check with several people who know about these things and was told it was most probably African Blackwood. It is nice, but not what I expected. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate your input.

Additionally, I'm still learning/experimenting with this whole photography thing, and I sure could use some help. I'm using a Flashery Light Box and an iPhone & Pro.

Thanks

Attachments

• MistralAfricanBlkWood1.jpg
    MistralAfricanBlkWood1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 167
  • MistralAfricanBlkWood2.jpg
    MistralAfricanBlkWood2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 159
  • MistralAfricanBlkWood3.jpg
    MistralAfricanBlkWood3.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 139
  • MistralAfricanBlkWood4.jpg
    MistralAfricanBlkWood4.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 153
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Like the pen, Don. Can't help with the A. Blackwood as any that I have turned have all been black.
The photography looks fine to me.
I'm trying to work out the image at the top of the cap in Photograph 2.
Is that you with a flag over your shoulder? I couldn't see a camera in the image, or am I just seeing things?
Alan

DrD

Ha! That's me holding my iPhone. Like I said, I'm still trying to figure out how to take pics without distracting things showing up. Right now our flags are all proudly waving outside attached to either our house or one of the oaks in the front yard. Thanks for the comments.

mick

African Blackwood, if I recall rightly, can actually be any of several species, most all of the rosewood family. A range of colors is normal. BTW nice pen, I like working with AB.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DrD

Thanks Mike. I found the same as you; there are generally reported to be at least 3 species that are called African Blackwood, with the possibility of several others as well.

Top Bottom